Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help: Info on AC 653?

John White ยท 2009-12-05 09:41

Can any one tell me what the weight is of a Allis 653 dozer? Were there any improvements in it over the HD4? I had a hd4 and it was a good little dozer, better than a JD 350 or Case 350. Sold it (which I should havent done) bought a gray market dozerl, which does a decent job for its size. But have run on to a 653 for about $4,500. Wondering is same trailer that I hauled hd4 on is heavy enough. I think the hd4 weighed about 9000 lbs maybe 10. Any one have a opinion on a 653?

Replies5
  1. #1racoon2us2009-12-22 18:12

    dozer weight just got a repair manual for mine says 8800lbs dont know if that is correct joe

  2. #2racoon2us2010-01-14 18:10

    hi trying to get operating info on a allis 653 b dozer it has a 6 way blade great site joe

  3. #3John White2010-01-14 19:29

    Seems information is hard to come by. Not too many 653 operators out there any more. I had a HD-4 and loved it. I Think it weighed around 9000 lbs. It was in excellent condition. I sold it and was looking around for a 653 with foot steer. A fellow in Pa. said he had one for $4500. I drove out to see it 500 mi. It was a worn out piece of junk. What a waste to time. I would say that a person would be hard pressed to find one in excellent cond. Repairing one of these old dozers or any dozer for that matter can become very expensive.

  4. #4racoon2us2010-01-14 23:31

    allic 653b hi john the 653 i just purchased had 18 hrs on a reman engine under carrage excellent brakes and clutches work great new chains grousers 1 and one half inches 6 way hyd blade cost me 8500 del to my property joe

  5. #5John White2010-01-15 17:15

    Joe: looks like yours in pretty good condition. I think the HD-4 or 653 was one of the best small dozers made. Compareing it to a JD 350 or Case 350 or a ** 200. I think they are alot eaiser to work on than some of the others. Of course it cant be compared to the 450 Case and JD. Mine had the ROPS and the side pannels for the engine. Seems like most of them are missing the side pannels. (Helps keep brush and sticks out of your engine, fan, etc.) The reason I sold mine was because I was having alot of trouble with my arms and needed something eaiser to steer with less effort. Tried to find a good 653 with pedal steer. The fellow who bought mine offered me around $12000 so I let it go. I finally gave up on finding a good 653. I bought one of these little Mitsubishi dozers. Not quite as heavy and does a nice job for the kind of work I do. If your dozer is as good as it looks and if taken care of, will probably be here after we are both gone. The one I had was around a 1962. It was owned by a church and used very little over the years, and kep inside. That makes it almost 50 years old.