Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Inspecting Undercarriage – 977H

bulletpruf · 2024-05-10 11:34

Fellas - I just picked up a 977H. The price was right (free), so I didn't worry to much about condition of the undercarriage. From what I'm seeing, it doesn't look bad, but would anyone care to take a look at the pics to tell me what you see? FYI - one of the sprockets has bolt on segments, the other doesn't. Thanks, Scott

Replies26
  1. #1bulletpruf2024-05-10 11:34

    More pics...

  2. #2Nige2024-05-10 11:44

    IMHO that undercarriage is fit for scrap and not much else.

  3. #3bulletpruf2024-05-10 11:54

    Ok, can you be a bit more specific?

  4. #4Nige2024-05-10 12:06

    Idlers & carrier rollers both worn out (running surface deeply scalloped) Track shoe grousers worn down to bolt head level = worn out Marks on the track link bosses indicate that the track rollers are worn out. The track links are hitting the roller flanges Track link running surfaces scalloped. Sprocket teeth are not completely worn out but neither are they anywhere close to "as new" condition. The only photos missing in your album are of the track link bushes but if they are in a similar condition to the rest of the U/C I would expect them also to be well-worn.

  5. #5bulletpruf2024-05-10 12:12

    Ok, thanks for the details.

  6. #6sawmilleng2024-05-10 13:54

    Just to add to the long list by Nige: the idlers look to be as far forward as they can go, suggesting the internal track link bushings are worn as well. Does it run? Jon.

  7. #7bulletpruf2024-05-10 14:02

    Ok, thanks. Yes, it runs great. Hydraulics are fine. Steering is so-so. Steers fine to the right, but not so great to the left.

  8. #8bulletpruf2024-05-10 14:11

    Anyone know if the undercarriage bits for one of these is available new from Cat or aftermarket? Thanks

  9. #9IceHole2024-05-10 14:43

    Plenty of life in it. I've run stuff so worn the sprockets just had nubs Not like running it is going to ruin anything that isn't already worn. I forget, if it's D6 or D7 that uses same tracks. 8" pitch i think.

  10. #10IceHole2024-05-10 14:44

    Can cut a link out, have done that on many woods machines.

  11. #11bulletpruf2024-05-10 14:56

    I believe the 977H undercarriage is based on a D7. How do you measure pitch? Thanks

  12. #12Coaldust2024-05-10 19:06

    You got that for a song and a dance. Nothing wrong about that U/C. Put her to work.

  13. #13bulletpruf2024-05-10 19:39

    Well, it was less than a song and a dance, but it did cost $1,800 to move it to my buddy's ranch 120 miles away.

  14. #14IceHole2024-05-10 23:26

    The outfit I use charges $150/hr

  15. #15bulletpruf2024-05-11 08:55

    Damn, that's cheap!

  16. #16Welder Dave2024-05-15 02:14

    New undercarriage shouldn't be a problem but the cost would be. I'd guess well North of $10K for a 977 and maybe as much as $20K if everything is needed and it kind of looks like that. Maybe could find some decent used tracks. In the mean time you could run it as is. Just be prepared for the tracks to come off.

  17. #17bulletpruf2024-05-15 21:50

    The machine won't be used a lot, so running it as-is isn't a bad plan. Thanks

  18. #18nicky 68a2024-05-18 05:37

    There’s one thing running a dozer on an undercarriage as worn as the 977,and another thing running a traxcavator on those old tracks. I would think spragging with a full bucket would rip things off very quickly on that machine

  19. #19bulletpruf2024-05-18 08:49

    Thanks for the input.

  20. #20bulletpruf2024-05-18 08:50

    That's kind of what I figured - something north of $10k. Thanks

  21. #21Deere500a2024-05-19 14:12

    Were popular machines check machinery trader find a dismantle parts tractor. Track pads can be rebuilt with grouser bar & a good welder. Watch video started nice & crawled on and off lowboy with no problem sure looks like a good ol' 977 not destroyed doing demo work

  22. #22bulletpruf2024-05-19 14:19

    Thanks for that input. I really appreciate it.

  23. #23skyking12024-05-19 14:39

    I see that thing as sort of a glorified yard machine. get it moving and turning, then use it to pick up a heavy thing now and again and it is worth the $1800 move. If kept on flat ground and not in a hard push, the tracks will probably hold up. It is one sidehill away from a very bad day so I would use it how it is on flat ground. Spud has one that he rigged up a boom on. Stuff like that.

  24. #24sawmilleng2024-05-19 15:28

    Um, what is spragging? Jon.

  25. #25Nige2024-05-19 15:51

    A full-on turn by locking one track on the brake and powering the other. AFAIK used since Year Dot when referring to steering a crawler crane. Fortunately, bearing in mind the condition of the undercarriage on this particular 977H, the powertrain is not capable of counter-rotating the tracks. That would be a recipe for disaster.

  26. #26nicky 68a2024-05-20 04:44

    Sorry,it’s a hard turn after locking one track up as Nige explained. Looking at the rollers on this machine,I’d say it would be very easy for the rail to run off the roller flanges and probably snap when turning with a loaded bucket