Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Koehring Bantam C-166 With detroit 4-53 Shooting oil out exhaust

Race5118 ยท 2014-09-08 00:12

I was running my old c166 koehring today it was going well when suddenly it started smoking pure white. I shut it down and could see the oil leaking out the exhaust. After it cooled off I started it back up to move it out of the way it seems to have shot about a gallon if oil out of the exhaust stack all over everything. Is it rings or could there be something else wrong.

Replies8
  1. #1Scrub Puller2014-09-08 00:47

    Yair . . . Race5118 . I believe it is more than likely you have just developed a leaking blower seal . . . fairly common, particularly if they have been standing. Cheers.

  2. #2Race51182014-09-08 01:05

    It gets quite a bit of use, I'm Going to give it a good bath tomorrow I will tear apart the blower first.

  3. #3Race51182014-09-08 18:14

    Thanks Scrub Puller that seems to be the issue I'm sure glad I asked before I started ripping apart the engine.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-09-08 20:40

    Before you start ripping, make sure the emergency air shutoff, if it has one, has not somehow tripped.... this tends to suck oil through the seals or the seals out of the blowers...... of course NORMALLY when the shutoff trips it will either shutoff or go down to a sick idle and stay there, but Detroits is funny animals....

  5. #5Race51182014-09-08 21:33

    No air shut off on this beast lantraxco. How can you tell if the blower seals are bad they really don't look like it but the blower housing was full of oil.

  6. #6bunkclimber2014-09-15 07:00

    scrub puller is dead on this one,leaking blower rotor shaft seals. if you restart the engine be sure you can shut it down somehow-like a piece of aluminum over the intake inlet.When you do run this engine,run it 3/4 or full throttle.These engines were built to be run,not babied or idled for long periods..they snot up with fuel..maybe you already know that.They actually run better when the throttle is smacked hard and kept there.FWIW

  7. #7Race51182014-09-15 11:18

    I blew a cylinder broke off valves and punched a hole through the piston in the number one cylinder. I had to pull the injectors to try and turn the motor over to get some oil out of the cylinders after it leaked in from the exhaust the tip of the number one injector was smashed so I pulled the head.

  8. #8lantraxco2014-09-15 13:53

    That's not supposed to happen Still, these little Detroits are relatively cheap on parts if you go aftermarket and the crank is okay....