Looking for help. My PC35r8 just clicks when i turn the key. the clicking is from a relay that is underneath the left arm rest. Was running fine all day. I stopped to adjust the bucket for 60 seconds and it just refuses to turn. Any help/ideas appreciated. I tapped the starter motor but to no avail. Battery is fine....temp fine...all fluids fine.
Does the low oil pressure light come on when the key is turned on and the engine is not running? Need to know what Dash series the machine is also.
thanks for the reply John C. it's a PC35r dash 8 Built 2002 3545 hours yes the low oilpressure light does come on. heater fan works, buzzers all work, glow plug relay clicks in and timer stops it. I did have the situation that switching on the heater fan would allow it to start, but that doesnt happen anymore....it just doesnt turn the starter over.??
There were two types of interlock systems that prevented the starter from engaging. The common system used an extra wire from the alternator hooked to a diode inside. When the alternator isn't turning current isn't produced which tells the computer the engine isn't running so it doesn't turn on the low oil pressure light. If you see a small wire on the alternator disconnect it and turn the key on and see if the low oil pressure light comes on. If it doesn't try starting the engine. If it starts you need to have your alternator repaired. The other type of system I ran into used a diode that was hidden somewhere in the wiring harness. Basically when the alternator wasn't running no current would go to the starter safety relay. As soon as the alternator started producing voltage the diode would let voltage flow to the safety and the starter would not turn. Short out the diode and voltage from the key switch would go to the safety. I don't remember the number on the diode but seem to remember it being under and behind the operator seat somewhere. Good Luck
hey thanks for the tip Johnc. I have pulled the cabin to bits trying to find the diode..its so damn tight in there. Any idea where the safety relay is?
I have a 45r-8 basically same machine. Take the seat off. Its in the back corner of the toolbox. About a $300 part. I saved the part # YM129136-77100 Double check that it is the same between the two.
Thanks DoyleX. That is exactly where the relay was...at the rear of the LH armrest, with some sort of electronic block assembly attached to the relay. I pulled it apart, shook it..cleaned it and put it back together and IT NOW WORKS. many thanks...what a great forum full of helpful,knowledgeable members. saved yet again. Big thumbs up.
odds are the relay is failing or you had a bad contact somewhere
yep...point taken, it was enough to get it to move off the machine back to the shed so very happy. I will order another relay as a spare anyway....thanks (would prefer to have it removed really...I never start the motor while its already running)
Would this relay going bad also cause no power to get to the fuel shut off solenoid?
No it should not have anything to do with the fuel shut off solenoid.