Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help me decide on a used ~12,000 lb machine

rust buster ยท 2017-01-15 11:08

I'm in the market for a used excavator and want one larger than the minis (so nothing under a 10,000 lb machine). Budget is less than $23K. I have three I am going to look at this week: 2006 IHI 55N, 2005 CAT 305CR, and an unknown year Hitachi EX60. The Hitachi is probably a mid-90s machine. All have roughly 3300 hours. All are enclosed cab with blades and rubber tracks. The IHI is going for $22K, the CAT $26K, and the Hitachi $15K. The Hitachi has the articulated boom, brand new tracks, and a fresh paint job, which of course raises some flags. Without seeing the machines, can anyone give me info on one model vs the other in terms of known problems or experience with each? I already have a CAT 279C skid steer and I've been relatively happy with it, but I know CAT comes with a premium price and it's the lightest of the three. The IHI has a Yanmar engine and the Hitachi a Nissan. It looks like the Hitachi and IHI are 55HP machines. The IHI is plumbed for a thumb but doesn't have one now. I'm using it to cut a 200 foot driveway through the woods and then clear a spot and dig a foundation for a 60x40 steel building. Lot of other uses down the road. It will be used only a few hours a week so my main desire is reliability and ease of maintenance. I do have a CAT and Yanmar dealer very close to me. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you, -Tim

Replies8
  1. #1Tags2017-01-15 12:04

    Keep in mind this is just my 2 cents worth here.....I would run from the Hitachi, parts will be a problem and I'm 90 percent sure that is grey market and cpu problems could be a nightmare as well, I've run an IHI 55 for a week or so and always thought it was a nice machine, I think all parts are available from the US IHI distributor, I believe a member here, Lantraxco, is familiar with IHI machines, you may want to pm him or he may chime in. I've never run a Cat 305, but I've never heard anyone rave about them either, I think they're a solid machine and if you're Cat dealer is good that maybe a better choice overall just because of the dealer support. I personally would hire a competent heavy equipment mechanic to give any of your choices the once over, a few hundred to the mechanic could save you a few thousand down the line......

  2. #2rust buster2017-01-15 12:12

    Tags, thank you! I was leaning towards the Hitachi but started doing some research and the whole grey market thing is a bit sketchy to say the least. Could be a crapshoot. Everything I read about IHI support through the KY distributor, is top notch. I don't want to pay just for the CAT name as I just want something that works. Did the IHI you ran have plenty of grunt?

  3. #3Tags2017-01-15 12:22

    It did all I wanted without a problem. A local contractor who I do some work for let me use it when a machine I had was getting repaired, as far as know he still owns it and hasn't had an issue and isn't the most gentle operator....I would look at the Cat and IHI and see which is in better condition but I personally would lean toward the IHI, this is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. I'm sure more people will chime in as well

  4. #4JD88752017-01-15 17:16

    I have a 30NX IHI and for its size I've never felt it was underpowered. It's been a very reliable machine that's made me more money than anything else in my fleet. I'd gladly and proudly run an IHI 55 class. Good luck John

  5. #5moriboy2017-01-15 17:47

    You might also look to see if there are any kubotas floating around close to you. They are a great machine in that size. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6movindirt2017-01-16 13:48

    You'll never not be able to get parts for the Cat, and with a hydraulic thumb that would be first on my list. By time you put a thumb on the IHI you'll have a extra $3k..

  7. #7lake side bob2017-01-31 17:48

    My Company has a Kubota 12,000 pound machine early 1990's, love it, no problems with it. Parts are available from a couple dealers in the area.

  8. #8Hazcat2017-02-01 03:38

    Have a 304ccr at the shop my only complaint is it is a bit small at around 10,000 lbs. A hydraulic thumb is worth having, ours is set up with quick disconnects to attach an auger using the thumb circuit to drive the auger. Cat buckets on this family of machines can go on either way making the machine into a "shovel" and the cat quick connect uses the same buckets as direct connect. So far I have been really happy with cat.