Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help me ID this winch!

Jaybo ยท 2012-12-30 02:36

A friend has a Tulsa Winch that I am trying to identify and I have an # 800 on the side of the winch and a # 379 on the gear case. I could probably get this for a great price and put a hydraulic motor on it. Anyone have any ideas or where I can find info on it?

Replies9
  1. #1Scrub Puller2012-12-30 03:20

    Yair . . . Jaybo I can't help you with identification but I'm not sure what I'm looking at . . . is that beast a self locking worm drive? I see a dog clutch but no sort of brake. Cheers.

  2. #2Scrub Puller2012-12-30 03:32

    Yair . . . Jaybo A quick search bought up these folks I reckon there's a good chance they can set you straight. http://www.darbyequipment.com/heavy-duty-winches/tulsa-winches Cheers.

  3. #3Jaybo2012-12-30 14:39

    Scrub - No idea either! I know nothing about winches or locking mechanisms or anything else. I'm guessing this came off of a truck by looking at the mounting system. I can't find anything on them with the "800" model number - I emailed Darby Equipment to see what they might be able to tell me. Have not found that company in my Google searches. ..Jay

  4. #4DMiller2012-12-30 20:28

    That is an old PTO driven winch for a truck, probably oil field or drill rig service, saw many of these as well Braden Winch units when worked in Tulsa early 80's. Used in trash service, any type truck used for winch duty, Gin pole, roll off, and so on. Have seen a few installed for recovery service on wreckers at the tail to drag wrecks in the last fifteen years. The tension adjustment is to try to keep it from free spooling when the pto is stopped with the clutch and to minimize bird nesting the spool should it roll back out. In your neck of the woods, possibly logger service.

  5. #5Jaybo2012-12-30 21:17

    I should be able to mount a hydraulic motor on it shouldn't I? Not sure what I should go with as far as motor size with the Dresser's pump rating for 13.5 gpm and system relief pressure is 2000 psi. Just need to find out more about this winch as far as capacity and such.

  6. #6td25c2013-01-01 12:44

    Thats a nice find jaybo.Looks like a 20,000 # tulsa set up for front or rear mount on a truck being it sets between the frame rails.I think a company called TWG is the currant Tulsa winch supplyer www.team-twg.com The model 18 G looks very similar to your winch www.team-twg.com/documents/tulsa-winch/sales-literature/model-18g-sales-sheet.pdf I would think it would work fine on your dresser.Build & fab up the framework to fit the machine,probably have to use "jack shafts" to get some more reduction for the hydraulic motor. I set up a similar size garwood on my one ton wrecker & gave some info on post 8 in this thread HeavyEquipmentForums Good luck with your winch project.

  7. #7Jaybo2013-01-01 19:39

    TD25C, Thanks, Interesting info there . It really does look similar, so if the owner does decide to sell it, I'll have to take it apart and get a closer look at it and make sure everything looks good inside. I'm guessing new bearings at a minimum and a clean and paint. The owner says they can put any motor off the back of it, but you are mentioning jack shafts instead? Is that to be able to play more with gear ratio? I kind of like the idea as it would put the motor up next to the winch rather than underneath making the mounting fab work more difficult and prone to possible damage. Thanks for the info and idea, it really gives me some useful ideas and as long as the innards of the winch are in good shape I may have to run with it.

  8. #8td25c2013-01-02 21:11

    Thats a good idea to remove the top cover on the gear case & check the worm & bronze bull gear for wear or damage before purchase as they are expensive . You got the idea on the jack shafts Jaybo:thumbsup, I like to be able to play with the gear ratio as needed on the winch & drive motor with sprocket size.Also allows the motor to be mounted in different positions around the winch ,so many times we are mounting a winch in tight areas between the cab & bed on a truck and the jack shaft allows me to mount the motor up tight beside the winch like I did on my one ton wrecker & skidloader winch rig. This is the motor I installed on the one ton wrecker with the 20,000 # garwood winch www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200321049_200321049

  9. #9stumpjumper832013-01-02 21:23

    I would bet that the winch came off an army truck. They used alot of pto powered front mount winches