A few years ago i bought a tractor & lowboy together all set up. The truck has hydraulics to run the lowboy. I just bought a 22' end dump with air tailgate. I need to set the tractor up. Truck has air shift pto in cab. Lowboy uses two lines, i assume one is preasure out and one is return. I will need some sort of control valve in the cab to raise the dump. I would think some sort of electric solinoid valve would be the way to go rather than running the hydraulics into the cab to a valve? What setup do you use, pictures? What about online places to buy the parts? Tell me about what is needed to control the tailgate. I have also been reading i need to lock/pin 5th wheel. What else am i missing? Pics of your setup would be great. Thanks for the help.
What kind of tractor? Kenworth, Pete, Freight, etc....
1999 freightliner
Ok, since you already have the pto and pump to run the lowboy that means ya have the tank, I would look at getting an air toggle for the dash and tie into the air supply block in the dash and run it out to the rear of the cab and set up a pneumatic valve for the dump.
Need to know how big the tank is also. It takes a whole lot more oil to operate dump trailer than it does a lowboy trailer.
If this is a frame type trailer, (22' probably is), DO NOT lock the 5th wheel. You only pin the 5th wheel for a frameless trailer, since their upper coupler is on a swivel.
I will figure out for sure how big the oil tank is. Since i didnt set the truck up and havent had any problems i've only looked at the tank a few times. I would estimate that it is in the 20-30 gallon size. Its square and mounted to the right side frame rail behind the cab. The trailer is a Hilbuilt mongoose frameless. So i need to pin the fifth wheel. Whats the best way to go about that?
I made a set of "blocks" for a buddies truck for the same purpose. Figured out where the plate sat level, and made the front one straddle between the slide rails, just a bit lower than level(so it tipped forward to set on it, just a bit) then you can slide a set under the back side so when it tips back its sitting level. It will be sitting more on the back blocks so make sure they are quite stout. Seemed to work good for him. Will have to see if he has some photos of them, as its been a few years since i made them. Trbo
You'll need at least 50 gallon of oil capacity for a dump trailer. Here's a pic of my 5th wheel pin set-up.