I bought a new 4 axle trailer and now find myself waiting on a 350hp with a 9spd and 3.7 rear is irritating as hell....... Pittsburgh Power can gain me about 150hp for about $7k but I dont want to spend that much for that little of a gain..... Is there anything anyone knows of that can be done to a n-14 STC motor ? I have reamed the injectors and bypassed the pacer box. any help is appreciated. I have a freind in the core business that owes me a favor so I can swap motors if I knew which CPL code to upgrade into, again I dont want to spend money and go through the hassle of a swap just for 50hp or so. I have considered a red-top but was hoping for something a little easier. I will also be upgrading to an 18spd so that should help a little but i still want more hp! btw; it's a KW '92 t-800 pj
Horsepower Nice looking rig We have all been there, trying to go larger trailers and forget about the truck HP. If its a mechanical engine, you can change the buttons in the injection pump, if its computer, you might get Cummins to turn the HP up HUMMM My experience with engine swapping, is not good, its alot of work and money, then you have to worry about do you have the correct tranny, then you have to worry about the rears (are they the correct ratio) will they hold up to the extra HP? Will the drive train handle the extra HP Is your engine mechanical? Before I would swap engines, tranny, rears, etc, I would find me a truck with the correct engine/HP? If you really Love your truck, try to find a wreck truck, like yours (with the power and drivetrain you need) and swap everything out, Lots of work Good Luck and keep us posted
thanks, I am not totally in love with the truck I would take a new one but am just wanting to get this one by till I find a t800W that I want in my price range and at that time I will put this one on the end dump and retire the old one that's currently on it. but for right now I just have to get this one by, I sent it to Cummins in Springfield MO and on the phone they told me they would bump the hp but when the truck got there they looked at it and said it couldnt be done......I think they just didnt know how to change the "Button" ...... Pj
Just need to find a pump place, probably not cummins. Should not cost alot.
The way I read this is that you have 350hp and want more? Then you tell us that an extra 150hp is little gain? Exactly how many ponies where you thinking of having? As Willis asked, will the driveline handle the extra horses? Then there is the question of more fuel = more costs. If Diesel fuel bills don't worry you then you must be doing well enough to buy another truck with more grunt. Actually what is the problem, 350hp is adequate for single trailer work, in the 80's that was the standard for single trailer work and a lot of road trains had 350hp engines as well. Heck I used to drive a truck pulling 39 tonnes, that had a 230hp big cam and 9 cogs to choose from. Only once did I really want more hp, that was going up a steep cutting over in Victoria, down to 3rd and she wasn't pulling, now I was starting to get a little anxious, if I missed the change to 1st, there would be a good chance the S-Line would not get going again from standstill or snap something trying to get er going but luckily the shift to 1st went smooth and she pulled it, well I still had low gear but a quick single gear change from 1st to low is tricky. My advice is to leave it be and save up for a truck with the specs you'd like, it's gonna cost you serious money to uprate the engine, you're gonna spend more money on fuel and have the possibility of driveline damage. All that just so you save a bit of time on a trip? Anyway I really don't think you are going get a lot of hp for bugger all money.
All of that is a good point and I appreciate the input and not to sound dis-respectful but please read the OP very carefuly.....no where in the OP did I ever ask for feasablitiy analysis from anyone nor do I have to justify the reason as to why I want more horsepower. Pj
Sorry if I offended, far as I know, no, there is no easy and cheap way to get more serious power out of a motor. That is the question, is it not? I think part of your problem is that the motor is worn, that will rob hp and the only way to fix is a rebuild. The other issue that I can think of is emissions, you try and screw up the pump with a worn engine, you will more than likely be very smoky and get some unwanted attention. Not sure about there but here they are pretty tight on Diesel smoke. Ohh yeah also in regards to feasibility studies and such, you have to remember this is a public forum where people come to learn and share knowledge, whilst you may not be wanting to hear that you're grand plan to get 500+hp out an worn engine set up to produce 350 is problematic, others may be interested. If you don't like what someone in good faith says, ignore it, unless it is rude or offensive, then you're best of to talk to a moderator. No you don't have to justify your need for more hp, actually I can understand why from a drivers point of view but from an owners point of view I can't see the dollar sense. For instance my little Mitsi truck has a 150hp NA engine, which is alright on the flats but point it up a hill with a load and time seems to slow down. Sure I can fit a bigger engine with turbo and such, actually I think a 250hp version of my engine was made, however as the bill payer I can't justify the money it would cost to upgrade to a more powerful engine, plus it will suck a little bit more fuel. Also I get paid by the hour, so if I do more work in that hour, it will actually cost me money. A bit different if I was paid by how many tonnes in a day I could shift.
So many great turns of verse with trucking. This one had me laughing. My boss likes to say about a truck he had, you had to drive with the low beams all the time because if the high beams saw the hill up ahead it would start to slow down. Sorry for the hijack
HP on the N14 varies alot, I've worked on some celet's recently from 370hp in a T600 to 525hp in a forage harvester. Yours is still mechanical so pump could be worked on fairly easy, as long as you have a pyro you will be fine. You will really notice 425hp compared to 350.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64 i have been reading this forum for a while, if there is any way to get more power out of this engine its these guys, might wanna take a look.