Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help! My Wacker RD12 has a mind of its own

Husaberg · 2022-04-04 21:19

My low-hours roller is uncontrollable Even if started in neutral it will take off full speed in forward or reverse It does not matter which way the controller is pointing and once moving the controller has no effect in either direction or speed The controller cable is intact The vibratory function works What do I check next?

Replies6
  1. #1Husaberg2022-04-08 13:45

    UPDATE I’ve been operating the roller and trying to figure out why the controller does not control the speed or direction of the machine. In doing so, the roller slowly started losing drive. The steering and vibration still function perfectly but now the machine rarely moves in either forward or reverse. Once in a while, when started, it will jump up and down like it’s possessed or more probably trying to go forward and reverse at the same time I’ve been reading the manual and going through the troubleshooting steps for the drive system 1. The tow/bypass valve works normally 2. The drive control cable works normally 3. I have not been able to test the drive pump and relief valve because I am waiting for an adapter for the pressure gauge (I suspect the answer lies here) 4. I have made sure the drive motors are not bound and turn freely 5. I have not checked fluid flow through the drive motors because I don’t want to make a huge mess and it doesn’t make sense to do so until completing step #3 While checking, I have disassembled the two tandem mounted pumps (exciter and drive) and everything looked normal to my eye My question is this- if there is a problem with the relief valve in the drive pump, is that fixable? I don’t see any mention of that in the manual (see attached)

  2. #2Husaberg2022-04-10 00:26

    UPDATE #2 Less than 100 PSI coming out of drive pump in both forward and reverse Flow from tank into pump seems good Is my pump fried? Anything else to check?

  3. #3Husaberg2022-04-13 00:22

    UPDATE #3 Well, looks like it's the drive pump I've got an experienced tractor mechanic doing the teardown now Hoping for an easy/quick fix

  4. #4Vetech632022-04-13 08:07

    Sorry. I just now saw this. Update what happens next!

  5. #5Husaberg2022-04-13 19:27

    UPDATE #4 I got lucky! The problem was simple to fix The roll pin at the bottom of the swashplate shaft sheared off See 72 in diagram Hope this helps someone else down the road

  6. #6Husaberg2022-04-14 01:08

    View of bottom of drive pump with new roll pin going in