Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help: Need Advice About 1978 Case 680G Backhoe

jrad1245 ยท 2015-10-19 03:20

I recently came across a 1978 case 680g backhoe that someone is looking to sell, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this backhoe or thinks it is a good value for the money. It has 8000 hours on it and runs good engine wise, it has an enclosed cab that is in decent shape. On the back it has the extended hoe. It needs new tires on the front, but the biggest issue is leaking hydraulic cylinders. The owner tells me that most of them need to be rebuilt because it sat for a while. It has some new hydraulic hoses, but needs some replaced. Just by turning the wheel when the machine was off hydraulic fluid poured out of one of the lines that goes to the steering cylinder. I think I could get the machine for $4000 but before I did I wanted to get the opinion of you guys. I do not know much about the value of used backhoes. I was wondering if that would be a good deal considering the work I would need to put into it? Also if anyone has knowledge on this model or any possible problems let me know. I greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!!

Replies4
  1. #1RonG2015-10-19 03:58

    I would consider that a pretty good deal since you pretty much know what as to be done to it,it actually looks in pretty good condition.I do like a 4x4 configuration in a TLB,it makes all the difference in the world but you can't have everything.Fix it as you work it and you should be able to get your work done and get your money back when you are ready.Ron G

  2. #2Tinkerer2015-10-21 21:04

    You really need to run it and see how much blow-by comes out the engine breather tube, if any. Also the check the condition of the shuttle shift and 4 speed transmission. It has air brakes so be sure to check if will hold air pressure after shutting off the engine. I see one out rigger down, that cylinder may need repacking. $4000.00 may buy it but you could easily spend anther $4000.00 getting it into a dependable machine.

  3. #3Tinkerer2015-10-23 07:55

    Welcome to HEF jrad. I see you have two separate threads asking the same basic questions about the same machine. It is very confusing to help anyone when that happens. Its not a big deal. Hopefully the mods will merge the threads and delete this post.

  4. #4mikebramel2015-10-23 22:42

    If it runs out good $4000 is a good price. You can figure $200-400 each cylinder