Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help needed with trailer purchase

Legdoc ยท 2016-06-05 17:43

I need to move ahead with a dump trailer purchase. It will be a 20' tandem dual either gooseneck or pintle. Most likely GN. I have seen on the net and HEF a roll-off type with either a box with rear doors or a flat bed roll-off. From what I have seen ones with a gas motor powering the lift and winch appear to be the cat's meow but quite expensive. I know some weight capacity will be lost due to the convertible features. This most likely have electric over hydraulic brakes with apx. 24k axles. Please give me your opinions on this plan. Thank you

Replies6
  1. #1Willie B2016-06-05 18:22

    You live well out of salt country. I love new electric brakes. Where I live they are only new 1 year. Consider a going over every few years, you'll love electric brakes. Electric over hydraulic dump is fine also, until each interface of conductor to terminal oxidizes. There is no mystery, resistance of oxidation where one metal conductor ends, and another begins is the root of all the bad things you've ever heard about electric hydraulics. Take all the heavy cables on your new dump, coat with noalox from Ideal, they will never oxidize, or you will die of old age first. The crimped connections will be impossible to treat with Noalox, they will oxidize inside the crimp. When they show voltage across the interfacing components, replace using Noalox. I promise, it ain't snake oil. Just keep the air away from clean metal, it won't oxidize. Noalox, and a dozen competitors include Zinc which acts as a sacrificial anode, protecting more important metal from corrosion. Willie

  2. #2lumberjack2016-06-05 18:28

    What is the application? I used a gooseneck dump to haul mainly tree debris with the occasional demo debris, dirt, etc. I couldn't make the weight deduction of the roll off system make sense over the standard trailer. What brand trailers are you considering? If you go over 26klbs GVWR, you'll be subject to FET which is 12%.

  3. #3fast_st2016-06-05 18:29

    Along the side of the same thread, I'm upgrading my trailer axles and opted to go with the super single 17.5 inch wheels, 6k rating per tire, cheaper than new dual tandems.

  4. #4clintm2016-06-05 19:50

    Rolloff would be a lot more useful if you can deal with the loss of pay load. there is a thread on here from a rolloff trailer manufacture on here I think they are from canada. Every one that comes in my place to dump is electric and the battery is always dead ether the charger is broke or not hooked up or the hoist is not strong enough to lift the load. So i would say the money for the gas engine would be well spent as long as you have gas and a good engine.

  5. #5lumberjack2016-06-05 20:50

    I agree on the gas driven pump. I converted our gooseneck dump to a gas driven pump for this job (hauling 1k yards of dirt .3 miles). It was a fantastic upgrade, well worth the money. https://youtu.be/XBQDdnOXsjs?t=4m56s

  6. #6DDoug2016-06-06 15:14

    I hear you. This manufacturer is local, and I have laid hands on a couple of the trucks. They aren't that heavy, but I think if adding it to a trailer, I would strip it down to the (2) main channels for weight. One roll-off gooseneck trailer I saw just added this system, on top of an existing flat bed trailer.