I have a 1996 New Holland LX885 that has been giving me a ton of starting problems! This started last fall when the temperatures started to drop, naturally, right before I need the machine to be ultra reliable for loading salt all winter. The machine has had a habit of cranking when you turn the key BUT not stopping when you release it unless the engine starts--it will crank itself dead. During the winter it killed the starter doing just that, so it now has a brand new starter and solenoid, as well as battery... and clean tight connections. This problem goes away when the weather is warmer because it starts so much easier. Right now, it will not crank at all. I get a click-click from a solenoid on the firewall, and a test light shows nice and bright there. Cannot reach the starter solenoid to check there without raising the loader arms... This machine is really frustrating me with these non stop problems starting, once it is going everything works great. Ideas? Experiences?? Also, if someone rides along in it pulling the drive levers back, can I tow it backwards about 80 feet to my shop? If it won't roll will it just drag? I don't want to damage the drive. I can lift the loader arms with my old international tractor and block them.
When did you replace the ignition switch? You need to open the bypass on the pumps to tow the vehicle. If you can not find the bypass you can loosen the hose fittings
I haven't replaced it, and I have been rather suspicious about it. When I bought the machine it already had a cheapie aftermarket universal ignition switch installed. I have considered it as a culprit for the non-stop-cranking issue, but being that the solenoid clicks and passes power when I turn the key I suspect it is doing its job at the moment.