Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help on buying a used class 6 truck. Under 26000 GVW

John White ยท 2013-11-26 07:51

Need your opinions on truck. I am thinking about building up another truck and need your thoughts. I plan on mounting a septic pumper tank on it as on my older truck, most of the time it is run pretty well at max weight. Past experience and finding that out now also is that I can purchase a box truck cheaper than a cab & chassis. Plus I have to shorten frame also.. My present truck is a 1997 GMC 6500 series with a Cat 3116. I like the way the GMC cab looks. I don't like the newer ones built 2003 and up. They are junk (or the ones I have seen) . I may have to change my mind set on a GMC though. After reading about the CAT 3126 engine problems it has me scared. I see a lot of box trucks in the $8 to $9 k range with under 200,000 miles. I have found some Internationals with the dt 466 engine, Ford F700 with the little Cummings 5.8 (is this engine too small) and the Freightliners seem to have a Cat 3126 also. I know GMC and Ford both got out of the class 6 truck market but used ones will be around for a long time. I know International started having a lot of problems after 2003. So what would be your pick under 2003 and why. One thing I have noticed on my GMC is that with it fully loaded, it is a little weak on brakeing but have talked to others who run Int and Freightliners have the same problem. A few of the class 6 trucks were built with air brakes and the seem to be ok. But require a CDL endorsement. Give me your opinions.

Replies14
  1. #1ValleyFirewood2013-11-26 08:02

    Near impossible to read, i just see a huge block of words. Sleeping meds kicking in it guess!

  2. #2CM19952013-11-26 08:26

    Pre- 2003 truck choice - 4700 International DT466 with 6 or 6 +1 trans. You are right the newer style International med. duty trucks are not nearly as reliable as the older ones. I would find one with air brakes if you are worried about braking. BTW - Ford still makes F650 and 750 trucks.

  3. #3monster762013-11-26 11:48

    ford or the international, international are proven work horses they have some small problem here and there but to crazy. if you get a ford although the 5.9 is a little small it will move the weight not as good as a dt466 but the plus side is if you spend allot of time inside the truck a 650-750 cab is the same as the normal pickup and many of the interior items like seats dash all that can be installed in the truck and it will be more comfortable than the international if it were me i wouldn't hesitate with either one of those trucks

  4. #4redneckracin2013-11-26 15:03

    I have a 2001 int 4700 LP with air ride, a DT530E and an Allison MD3060 trans and wouldn't hesisitate loading it to 26k. The hydraulic brakes are ok, but they tend to lock the wheels up pretty easily if not loaded pretty well. The truck has some electrical gremlins but mechanically the truck is stout. I have only had to replace the radiator here recently on it.

  5. #5CM19952013-11-26 18:55

    Monster I disagree on which one I would want to drive. I had a 2005 F650 with a hooklift in the past and didn't like driving it at all. I didn't like the visibility over the hood and felt like I was sitting in a hole while driving the truck and I am a Ford guy but I wouldn't get another one. I would take my old 4700 over it any day. Those older Internationals fell like a big truck, good visibility and a spacious cab. Now of course that is my opinion and worth every penny that was paid for it.

  6. #6monster762013-11-26 19:02

    hey we all have one that why there is so many different brands and configurations of trucks because there is no one size fits all

  7. #7JBGASH2013-11-26 19:54

    John White, As you know stay away from any 3126. I have 2- septic vacuum trucks, 1-2250 gallon tank & 1- 3650 tank both are Mack with big block engines. I will never have anything but a big block personally. This also insures you have enough truck to pack a load of sewage. Air brakes are a must and 8 wheels as drivers are great instead of only 4. Good luck.

  8. #8John White2013-11-27 07:40

    Mack is out of the question as I have to stay under CDL

  9. #9John White2013-11-27 07:54

    Any one have any opinion on the FL 60 or 70 Freightliners? How do they compare to the internationals? Again, it will have the Cat engine. After asking around locally, it seems strange that some will start having trouble with the Cat engines at 100k miles and others can go 4 or 500k miles with no trouble. Talked to one fellow and he said all he does is change oil. Said he has to stop and change it on a cross the US trip sometimes, another said the sales man who sold him the truck said every 10,k miles.???

  10. #10Catback2013-11-27 08:35

    ...and that's all that I've done (along with check all the fluids and oils, air drier, connections, belts, etc.). I guess the devil's in the details. Aside from the mechanical or HEUI issues, and aside from a total lack of maintenance or not-so-bright attempts at "improvements" to the engine, my experience is the 3126B (I have two of them) is it is a true workhorse. But I've performed the maintenance (and changed the oil), and I don't have HEUI.

  11. #11wheelman0072013-11-29 23:28

    My experience with all these trucks working on and owning is the International dt466 is great and reliable worker. There a little short on creature comfort there fleet trucks. Air brakes preform better and last longer.

  12. #12Cretebaby2013-12-10 16:47

    Air brakes don't require a cdl or any endorsement.

  13. #13CM19952013-12-10 18:33

    It depends on your state CDL rules so the OP needs to check that out. The Federal rules go by gvw and you are correct no cdl for air braked vehicles below 26K gvw, according to the Fed's. States have to meet the minimum Federal guidelines for a CDL license but just like OSHA guidelines, they can be more restrictive.

  14. #14Cretebaby2013-12-10 18:42

    This doesn't nor can it vary between states.