Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help on pre purchase advice for a dozer

256 ยท 2013-10-11 00:44

I am looking at a 2001 new holland dc 100 lgp it has a new uc and has 2800 hours on it. It starts and runs good but I have only ran it a few minutes but it does fine . Are these good reliable machines also anything that I should look for on it and is 20k a good price. All I have ran is a John Deere 450 h so are they about the same. Thanks in advance

Replies28
  1. #1norite2013-10-12 23:42

    Welcome to HEF 256 I don't personally have any experience with new Holland dozers. I own a JD 450d and have driven various cats up to a d7 size. I remember reading here somewhere that new Holland was cutting back on manufacturing construction equipment, can someone comment on whether they are still making/supporting small dozers? Do you have a good dealer for new Holland that works on construction equipment and maintains adequate parts inventories nearby?

  2. #2CascadeScaper2013-10-13 01:18

    New Holland dozers, to my knowledge, have always been a CNH product so they are technically a Case dozer painted a different color. I can't remember if there are differences in powerplants or other main components, I want to say they shared just about everything but maybe someone can chime in with a little more knowledge on the CNH deal.

  3. #3mitch5042013-10-13 01:23

    Nope, they are one of the European family. My mind is blank on who made them, but definitely not the same as Case.

  4. #4BRIEV72013-10-13 03:39

    from 2004 , We sold many 450 J DEERE dozer for oil company in south of sahara with "00" problems.we are sure that for hard work.NEW HOLLAND DOZER aren't so famous.[/FONT]

  5. #5Geardoc2013-10-13 05:22

    Possibly it is of Macmoter-Fiat heritage branded as a New Holland, possibly with a Perkins or Cummins engine. There are some of the NH's that are basically rebadged Cases. Though, CNH had promised not to do that.

  6. #6CM19952013-10-13 09:46

    For $20K there are other more popular and dependable dozers out there on the market. Personally I would stick with a Deere or Cat, better parts and support. Spend some time on machinerytrader.com and see what you can find.

  7. #7mitch5042013-10-13 11:26

    The engine is branded as: "New Holland by Fiat Power Train" in the current models. Though I admit I haven't run a new Case or NH backhoe, I was very disappointed in the "New Hollandification" of the new Case hoes. I have owned and run many of both brands in non-current models, and I always thought of the NH as an entry level or large fleet machine. Not a bad machine, just pitched at a different market. The last time I priced new, some years back, the Case was nearly twice the price.

  8. #8Geardoc2013-10-13 12:38

    There is an equipment pirate down in Georgia that goes up to Maryland to get all his stuff. I call him a pirate because he was paying off the dock guys to let him bring in newer grey market Kubota(which makes them very, very ill) and other grey market tractors and equipment. Well, to make a long story short, he had a couple of New Holland Construction series crawlers he got from a bankruptcy sale. Other than updated electronics, there was a disturbing amount in common between those "industrial" New Holland's and the old Fiat branded agr crawlers he was getting. The ag crawlers he was getting had the updated rounded body work but less electronic features. Other than the electronics, there was a A LOT in common. The scariest thing was the fact he had a Romanian UTB "industrial" crawler, it was one from the 90's, it was still basically an old ford 4000, but crawler parts: tracks, rollers, steering clutches" were all Fiat and MM. I will get in trouble for saying this, but the corporation has made New Holland basically a farmer's product. It is about half-ass ok for farm use, and that is pushing it.

  9. #92562013-10-13 16:58

    Thanks for advice I think I will just look for a cat or Deere maybe a d3 so I can use my truck to move it but which is cheaper to maintain power shift or hydro

  10. #10CM19952013-10-13 17:05

    I have a D5G with 4k on the clock, hydrostatic and no problems other than the associated lines wearing/blowing. Had a D6N and put 3K hours on the clock before selling it and a D6R we put 2K hours before selling it. I didn't have any problems with the powershifts but really didn't put enough hours on them to get into heavy maintenance. All 3 dozers I bought new. The hydrostatic dozers will be easier to operate. 256, where are you located in AL?

  11. #112562013-10-13 17:55

    I am in cullman alabama

  12. #12CM19952013-10-13 18:54

    Birmingham here, just finished a small job in Gardendale.

  13. #13trackdoc2013-10-16 12:44

    Firstly, these where Fiat Allis machines, then Fitat Hitachi. Then Fiat got involved with Kobelco, which then became New Holland. They are Cummins powered, and they where not a big hit on the European market at all. I would be very suspicious of the 2800 hours, as the machine should still be on her original running gear at that.

  14. #14D3DaveC2013-10-16 14:28

    The machines all work good in the parking lot. Equipment dealers should have at least a mound of dirt to push to warm the machine up properly and once it's hot you would have a better idea of what you are buying. I've had good luck with D3's.

  15. #15Dickjr.2013-10-16 15:45

    I would about lay money down that the Case dozer and New Holland are within 90% the same machine. Look up a DC100 on machinery trader the look at an 850K. The dash , lights , the 6 cylinder cummins engine , hand controls all are almost identical. I've looked at them on lots as well, same machine. To me this kills the Case resale as well as the name. The older Case tractors were as good as any from the H model down . I know the 1550 could be a pig but the hydro concept was ahead of its time. Too many companies are rebadging there machines these days. On edit , I should have said the DC95 was the same as the Case 850K.

  16. #16Geardoc2013-10-16 20:18

    Alright. Serious foot in mouth in disease here. I saw a burned dozer on the side of the road at a local gas station. Went back, it was a New Holland DC100, 2000 model. Damn thing is a Case with a Cummins motor. If I can buy it for scrap, I am going to get it and fix it.

  17. #17watglen2013-10-16 22:18

    256, before you buy make absolutely sure you can get parts. I was looking at a dc100 about a year ago. I did a little checking and found out the undercarriage is not the same as a case tractor. So i started chasing a lead all over town and it dead ended everywhere. Eventually, the conclusion was that neither the case dealer, the NH construction dealer, or the largest undercarriage shop in the province would be able to get replacement undercarriage parts for it. I even spoke to dealer parts guys that had gone down the same path on other guys machines with the same result. So I left that unit sitting, bought a cat instead. You may be able to get parts in your area. Just don't get stuck with an orphan. Good luck Ken

  18. #18Randy882013-10-17 08:10

    Walk away, and find something with dealer support instead, its more of an orphan than anything if you think its a rebadged case, go buy a case have no worries.

  19. #19Dickjr.2013-10-17 11:00

    I looked around machinery trader , the DC100 is different than the say DC95 , the DC150 and the DC180. Get me wondering what the story is on the DC100.

  20. #202562013-10-18 19:56

    It belongs to a farmer down the road from me it wasn't out for sale I saw it behind his barn. I ran it for about an hour and a half yesterday an it ran great controls were very responsive no play anywhere and I push with it a good bit if it doesn't push it it's spinning the tracks. Thinking about offering 17k take it or leave it I know the resale isn't great on them but I just need one to use a couple hundred hours and get most of my money back or if it does good it's cheap enough to keep around

  21. #212562013-10-18 21:10

    Everything I have checked is that is Cummings engine and fiat drive train our new holland tractor place says they can get any part for it as far as used parts not sure not a lot of dc100 around. Undecided on whether to try and buy it cheap or pay more for something else just wish I knew how long it would go before needing repairs but I guess that's what everybody wants with equipment

  22. #22Dickjr.2013-10-19 11:45

    My question would be is it a Fiat built machine. If so I wouldn't be afraid of it. Your dealer will have any filters etc you may need so that takes care of that. If the bottom is good and it fits the bill buy it. The other New Holland tractors seem to be the same as a Case. Some of the earlier ones had heating issues but was resolved in the series 2 as far as I know. 17K is not bad for that size machine. I have a D39E-1 Komatsu which is a Dresser that Komatsu done a few upgrades on, It like this DC100 , no one will knock you down to look at it , but it has served me well. I paid 30K for it. My first job I was there 8 weeks . My check was more than I paid for the tractor minus expenses. God was watching over me on that one. It still is a good tractor , I run it about every day.

  23. #23farm_boy2013-10-19 14:26

    The DC70, DC80 and DC100 were all built by MacMotor in Italy for Fiat with Cummins 3BT3.9 engines. They were 70, 80 and 100 horsepower respectively. They were branded Fiat-Hitachi in Europe and New Holland Construction in North America. All of these were offshoots of the Fiat Allis FD80 that was built only for a couple of years in 1998 and 1999. In 2000 there were branded New Holland. These tractors have NOTHING in common with Case dozers. When NH went to the DC75, DC85 and DC95 is when they were basically identical to the Case tractors other than the transmission control and minor cab finishings. Unless you were only going to put a couple hundred hours a year on it and you can get it CHEAP I wouldn't touch one of the original 70, 80 or 100's. They were good running little tractors but getting parts for them is going to be tough since they have been out of production for nearly 10 years and New Holland is out of the construction equipment business. All they are selling now are compact wheel loader, compact excavators and skid steer loaders.

  24. #24Dickjr.2013-10-19 15:19

    Farm_boy , that's the info I was looking for, as to who and where they came from. NH doesn't make any kind of dozer now , even a rebadged Case? I always thought the earlier Case models ,from the H down were better built than the newer ones. I had an 850D was a solid little tractor. One thing on those , there are a few too many levers there to me as far as hi low forward reverse then the high low on the floor.

  25. #25farm_boy2013-10-20 10:04

    Nope...not for a couple of years now. NH is only selling small compact equipment now.

  26. #26CM19952013-10-20 12:05

    Don't know anything about this dozer but it might be worth the drive to check it out. http://bham.craigslist.org/grd/4121354409.html

  27. #272562013-10-23 21:40

    Well I scored the dc100 have ran it about 4 hours and it runs out very good also like the joystick controls. I am having a friend put a new paint job on it because it is a little sun faded and also got all new filters. Figure I would just do a full service on it so I will know what it's got. The dealer about an hour away says they can get anything for it and sent all filters next day. Had them all in stock. Thanks for everyone's advice but really researched about everything about them and every part on them is pretty much from a major supplier that fiat outsourced. Will let you all know how it goes I really appreciate all the input just seemed like the newest biggest and nicest dozer I could get for them money thanks to all that replied with the good and bad

  28. #28denver m farms2013-10-23 21:49

    I hope it does great for you. I wouldn't be to afraid to own one.