Dear @Nige please can you tell me the part number of this control which is attached in photo number 2, of CAT320B S serial number: 5MS00221. Thank you very much. Kind regards
I can probably find something but please bear in mind that I am not a magician........... What exactly is that panel in your photo used for.? It somehow looks familiar but I can't place it.
Well I was wrong it was not what I thought it was. It's the Attachment/AUX Hydraulic controller. You can even have the troubleshooting guide for it. Part number is in the title. See attached........
Reading that document in a bit more detail it would appear its publication was as a reuslt of a significant number of "defective" controllers being returned to Cat under warranty that were not actually defective at all. The problem was in other parts of the system controlled by this module. Therefore I strongly suggest that unless you have 100% concrete evidence proving that the controller on your machine is bad then to avoid disappointment you need to go through the applicable troubleshooting procedures in the attachment above before considering the purchase of a replacement.
Dear @Nige I apologize for the delay in my response. Thank you for your patience. The panel in the photo is the display that operates the hammer of the excavator. I was in the process of locating the specific part number for it. Best regards,
Thank you for the clarification! I appreciate you providing the information about the Attachment/AUX Hydraulic controller, as well as the troubleshooting guide. I will review the attached document and let you know if I have any further questions. Best regards,
Thank you for your insightful feedback regarding the document. It’s important to understand that many controllers returned under warranty may not have been defective, and that the issue could reside in other parts of the system. I appreciate your recommendation to thoroughly follow the troubleshooting procedures outlined in the attachment before making any decisions about purchasing a replacement controller. I will ensure to take this step to avoid any unnecessary complications. Thank you once again for your guidance. Best regards
Having had that controller in attached least 6 B machines, I almost always carried a spare. The epoxy shrinks and they corroded from rain water. Most common issue was speed dial (engine RPM) when not using the auxiliaries, as the speed dial wiring is intercepted and interpreted by it. Somewhere out there are a few B machines with a rain shield (Tupperware container upside down) protecting them. Describe your issue, as to why you suspect it. As to the rest of the auxiliary components, I can't recall ever changing anything, and some had over 20k hours on them.
Well....now I know what that controller is for on my 325BL. It was one of those things of "if it ain't broke, don't touch it."
Dear @heymccall Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights regarding the controller. To clarify, the display was missing from the 320B S machine, which was just purchased used by a customer. Therefore, it is necessary to buy and install the display, which is why I was looking for the specific part number. I appreciate your advice and any further assistance you can provide. Best regards
In view of the above comments you may find the attached useful, just in case anything else related to the control panel is also missing.
Dear @Nige Thank you for sending the attached document. I will review the attachment and reach out if I have any further questions. Thank you once again for your support. Best regards
Haha! @LCA078 Sometimes it's best to leave things as they are—after all, I'm glad we could shed some light on the controller for your 325BL. Best regards
The controller is only needed if the customer plans on utilizing the auxiliary hydraulics, such as running a shear, hammer, plate compactor, grapple, etc. Just digging with a bucket or frost tooth, and that controller will not be needed.
I was at our ranch today with our kids cutting firewood and getting ready for the big freeze coming tonight (and yes, in central Texas when it's below freezing for more than a day it's considered a big freeze). Anyway, I stopped by the old 325BL and snapped a couple pics of my controller which is "hidden" underneath a cover and tilted somewhat upside down out of the elements. I'm guessing the previous owner relocated the controller to make way for the oxy-acetylene tanks he had sitting above the batteries. The previous owner used this machine for railway derailment mitigation so he had all kinds of hangers built for chains, cables, etc. on the right side and the oxy-acetylene tanks on the left. It's definitely an interesting machine that was well kept. But yeah, not a very well protected system in my opinion for such an expensive little bugger of a controller.... Hmmm. Also noticed I have a bit of rust up under there too that I need to hit with the wire brush and touch up paint. No idea why flaking paint like that bothers me so much on an almost a 30 year old machine but it does...
Thank you for the clarification regarding the display and its relevance to auxiliary hydraulics. I’m confident that with your support, I will learn a great deal and be able to assist others in the future as well. When i have any more questions or need further guidance, I will certainly reach out. Thanks again for your help! Best regards
Thank you for sharing your experience at the ranch! It sounds like you had a productive day preparing for the freeze. I can imagine how unique your 325BL must be, especially with its history and the modifications made by the previous owner. What's the year and serial number? It’s great that you took the time to check on the controller, even if it’s not the most accessible setup. I completely understand your feelings about the rust and flaking paint it’s funny how those little details can stand out, especially on a vintage machine. With your dedication to maintaining it, I’m sure you’ll keep it in great shape for many more years. Best regards