Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP !! plz tell me how to get in this feild of work

Nandroski ยท 2014-12-08 12:20

hello, I have always wanted to be a heavy equipment operator, but every job says I need years of experience , how do I get trained ??? I was told to join a union and they will train me but others say they wont , plz tell me what to do...

Replies3
  1. #1wosama931b2014-12-08 15:33

    Yes its difficult, maybe you should learn some skills other than operator to start. Most operators start in family machines, or know people that work in the biz. In your part of the woods, with a lota frozen ground, Look for a Cat shop or job as a helper to get to know differant machines and how they work, if you show that you are a hard worker, and want to learn, then they will help you. Good luck, sam.

  2. #2buckfever2014-12-08 16:50

    IMO the best place to start is as a laborer for a excavation company. A small company where the owner is the one running the machine is the one where you will get the most knowledge because it will be in his best interest to teach you how to do it right and quickly. Also being the one running the shovel will teach you more about how to be a operator then anything else, just don't forget years down the road when your operating a machine that you once worked a shovel in a ditch and a little more effort on your part will save a lot of work for some else.

  3. #3tmc_312014-12-08 18:28

    Nandroski, I hope you will take this advice in the spirit that I intend it. I mean no disrespect in any way. Learn how to spell. I this day and time of computers and the internet there is no excuse to not use the spell checker function that is offered in all word processors and on most if not all of these forums. When I see a post like yours, my first impression is "this is a guy who doesn't care" I won't turn someone like that loose with one of my machines. I realize that there is a new shorthand that has become prevalent in texting and has carried over into all kinds of written communications. I am an older guy and I find it hard to keep up with all the new acronyms. I am also a recently retired employer. I wouldn't hire someone who couldn't communicate effectively either in speech or with written communications. If you speak and write clearly it will serve you well in any career you pursue. Tim