Would like to know how to remove the final drive cover on my john deere 333g. I am replacing the snap rings and seals. I believe I need to apply force on the cover in order to spin and unlock it but I don't want to ruin it. Thanks!
To get the cover off remove the drain bung and you will see a wire in a grove which holds the cover. The ends should be there but not always. Put some weight against the cover and remove the wire, a small flat screwdriver is good to pop it. If the wire ends aren't at the bung hole then scratch around the grove until you find it. Now drill a 3mm hole from the outside of the hub to the wire but not threw it. Then using a drift and hammer knock out the wire from the hole you drilled. The cover then can be removed by using a slide hammer if available. Air pressure can also be used but be careful, the cover can come off in a hurry and hurt.
No wire in that cover. There are 2 different cover arrangements for the "G" CTL. First thing to try is 2 heal bars. If that does not work then try one of these. If the oil level plugs are in the cover, you could make a slide hammer adapter (2 of them) to pop the cover off. With the oil plugs in the gear case housing, I have used air pressure regulated down to 5 - 10 psi. Wrap something around the cover somehow to keep it contained (do this for safety). Do not stand in front of it when applying air. Better if you had an adapter in the case and apply air from a distance. Also, with either design, there is a thrust washer on the end of the sun gear (or inside the center of the cover). Don't lose that.
That thrust washer can create havoc when assembling, it can fall out and mangle the entire gearbox. It needs to be retained prior to fitting the cover. A lesson I learnt the hard way.
Thanks for the tip, I believe I re-assembled it with the washer staying in place fingers crossed. I got it apart with almost no issue, the oil level plugs are in the cover. we used a tool pick to pop the cover off and didn't take much force. Not a fan of the seal, I feel it could easily become undone or crimped setting the cover back on so tried to be careful with it.