Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help Starting Allis Chalmers D21

Newtotractors · 2023-07-17 16:37

Hi all, I have an Allis Chalmers D21 that’s been sitting for many years now. My Dad use to use it and I’m taking over stuff since he passed. I don’t know much about tractors and am looking for some guidance and help. I tried connecting a battery to get it to turn over before adding diesel to the tank but it won’t turn over. I used a fully charged 650CCA battery and tried adding my jump pack as well. The starter clicks and sounds like it engages but the motor doesn’t turn over. I have videos but I guess they’re too big for the site to upload(10 seconds). Maybe it’s not enough juice? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-07-17 17:10

    Sounds like motor is locked up from setting

  2. #2Tinkerer2023-07-17 18:07

    Seems to me a 655 CCA a battery is kinda small for that beast. Don't burn up the starter. Get the engine to turn by hand if it is locked up.

  3. #3Delmer2023-07-17 19:04

    You'll have to upload the videos to u tube or somewhere else and post a link here. It could be the engine is tight, it could be locked up solid, it could be the starter is just tight. First, I'd try to turn the engine by the fan and belt with both hands, if it turns the crankshaft that way then, see if you can turn it two full turns, one bit at a time with a rest between. If that won't turn it, remove the starter and see if you can turn the engine over with a pry bar on the flywheel ring gear teeth, it should be easy. And then see if the starter turns with jumper cables outside the engine. Pull starting that should be an option if you have another tractor available, or a truck on flat ground.