I have a New Holland LT185b compact track loader that just died in after working her for about 2 hours. She hasn't done this before. Boom is up and I can't lock it out because the safety pin is halfway covered. I was going in reverse to dump a bucket and the dash lights flickered and she went off fast. I heard and smelt plastic smoldering under the rear engine access hatch but it went out as I fetched a fire extinguisher. It would not start or give me any power at all when I tried to restart. It's dark now so tomorrow I was gonna let her cool down and then check the fuses and get a ladder to see if I can see what smoldered. Any tips for securing the boom somehow for safety? Or for the running problem? This is my first construction machine and I use her for light ranch and gardening chores. Thanks!
Do you have anything with a loader available to lift the arms up far enough to apply the lock? If you do, loosen the boom fittings to relieve pressure or you'll be trying to lift the entire front end of the machine.
No I don't. I only have a pickup truck that can't access the area because too muddy. I could access the area with a heavy duty winch from about 60' away but I don't have one heavy enough. This is a 10k lb traxsteer. I'm going to put 6-8' round and square wood blocking between boom and the cab, boom and hydraulic arms, and also use same wood blocking to prop up front and rear of boom arms, vertically. I'll use some rachet straps to hold blocking in place. Best I can do, so far.
Does that model need the arms lifted to flip the cab up? If not, you could hit the hydraulic bypass to relax the hydraulics and let the boom down.
No the cab does not flip off and over the motor. I have to access motor from the rear, through panels around seat, or through the bottom (under machine). I usually lift boom all the way up to remove rear side panels and open top panel to work on motor. I don't think there is a hydraulic release or override. I'll look to see. It's a New Holland LT185B track loader, 2006 year.