Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with 773G

Muzbomb ยท 2016-02-03 00:07

Hey all so I am at a loss I just not sure what else to do?? My 2000 773 has been leaking where the tandam and auxiliary gear pump meet together. I have took it out several time now. I bought new bobcat seal kit for all the internal seals and replaced bought an aftermarket o ring where the to pumps bolt together and it still leaks pretty good. I did buy the bobcat o ring seal for In between the pumps just haven't had time to get it in I just don't get why it leaks after I have replaced all the seals??

Replies12
  1. #1Desertwheeler2016-02-03 00:41

    Is It cracked? My 763 I used to have had a crack in the pressure side where the fitting screwed in and it always leaked no matter what. So maybe a very close inspection is needed.

  2. #2Todd v.2016-02-03 06:43

    It is not an u common thi g for the gear pumps to crack at the pressjre fitting threads. The way I found mine was by watching it while I engaged my grapple bucket. Sure enough the punp housing had a crack starting at the threaded he and run ing outward. It would open up when pressurized.

  3. #3Todd v.2016-02-03 06:45

    Sorry for the typos, fat fingers small phone.

  4. #4crewchief8882016-02-03 20:29

    if it has the aluminum gear pump it's probably cracked in the pressure port threads. raise the cab and boom, start engine, and turn on the auxiliary, you'll probably find the leak as soon as the oil warms up a little. positive it's coming from the gear pump and not running down from the top of the pump @ the pintle shaft seal? :drinkup :drinkup

  5. #5Muzbomb2016-02-04 00:17

    It is an aluminum pump yes. It sure looks like it is leaking at where the 2 pumps bolt together. What is the pintle shaft seal and where is that located? Thanks

  6. #6crewchief8882016-02-04 16:44

    pintle shafts are on top of the pump where the steering levers are connected. seal and a square "oring" underneath a steel cover. :drinkup

  7. #7Muzbomb2016-02-05 14:17

    Well upon further investigation it is leaking from the bolt thread holes that hole the pump together. I have taken the pump apart and replaced all the internal seals. I just took it apart again check all the seals look good nothing popped out all looks good. But it still leaks out of the 4 bolt holes??? Could it be cause I am using thinner oil? Mobil Univis 22 is what I am using

  8. #8kshansen2016-02-05 14:46

    Not on a BobCat like your's but I had a problem with a leak on an aluminum gear pump on a Cat 980G. As others have said it was a crack in the casting in the threaded area the high pressure fitting screwed into. I had looked at it several times over a couple year period. The chamfer for the oring looked perfect, I had even tried using a slightly ticker oring with no success. Finally gave up and talked the boss into letting me order a new $1,000.00 pump. After removing the old pump and getting it down on the bench where I could get a much better look at it and use a spray on crack detector I was able to see the very fine crack. I'd try looking real close at the housings anywhere where high pressure oil would be. The crack in my pump was very fine and hard to see with naked eye. The crack detector made it a little easier to see. Trick to use the detector is get the casting very clean and dry. Then spray on the red penetrating solution and let it seep in the spry on a thin coat of the "developer", this is a fine powder spray. In a pinch I have heard of people using a foot powder spry such as: http://www.medshopexpress.com/852126506.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=18283950120&gclid=CP2q5suv4coCFc1ZhgodGmsKTA Just look for a dark line in the white powder. This is the type of kit I have: http://www.zoro.com/spotcheck-penetrant-kit-sk-416/i/G1260612/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=EDEAC639D12F46CC94B80D81541B6071&gclid=CIuQyLix4coCFUgehgodP3kBNA&gclsrc=aw.ds

  9. #9crewchief8882016-02-05 16:16

    the oil is a possibilty, but i dont think so. maybe you have a hairline crack in the housing, i think i'd be replacing the pump... :drinkup

  10. #10kshansen2016-02-05 18:18

    In my opinion thinner oil should not cause a leak, might make it a little worse, like two drips a minute in place of one drip a minute but a leak is a leak!

  11. #11willie592016-02-05 19:12

    I'm putting my wager on a cracked pump as well because I've seen it many times before, including ones like yours, oil leaking from the holes that bolt the pump sections together. As has been stated by others, these hairline cracks are very hard to see.

  12. #12Muzbomb2016-02-07 01:51

    Thanks for the help everyone!! I have ordered a new pump. Sick of messing around with this one. This will make it 6 times taking it in and out lol