Okay, my D6C was not charging so I took the generator down a local guy here who rebuilt it for me. After testing I realize that the Voltage regulator is bad too. Just got a new one from Cat. After picking up some new batteries (P O put pretty small ones in there and they were dead anyway) I should be good to go. My question is, how do you polarize the generator? there are no markings visible so I am not sure which terminals are which. I did make sure to label the wires so I can put it back together the way it was, but in order to polarize it I need to know which terminals are which. ALSO, some of the wires have been cut, I have been told these are for some of the gauges, hour meter, etc. Some wires have also been cut or broken on the regulator. I want to hook this up right, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is how it looks now.
If I remeber correctly the regulator terminals say Arm or Gen, Bat and Field, you take a short jumper wire and just touch the Bat and Arm or Gen terminals.DO NOT TOUCH THE FIELD side. Does the green ground wire on the gen housing go to a ground on the regulator? Also make sure your ground is good past the ground disconnect switch if it has one.
Okay I think that sounds right. Im pretty sure the ground is good and connected, but ill double check. Thanks for the help.
Okay after working on the D6c yesterday to install a new regulator, I realized that what I thought was some decent wiring is completely non-existent when the wiring goes out of site. It looks like what happened was the wiring just deteriorated (burnt up, rusted, whatever) and someone cut some of it out. I have no clue when it comes to electrical. I can figure most things out with help though. Basically to make a short story long I have the generator the starter the voltage regulator, the instrument panel, and the Batteries. How do they all connect? I can just rewire it all. Is there a way to find a schematic online, or can someone explain it? Thanks for the help so far.
Was going to scan a wiring diagram from my manual, but it only covers the 10K series that uses and alternator....surely someone here has a parts book to match your tractor.
I’m having the same problem with mine but like you said the book doesn’t have a generator in it
Old thread warning. Cat probably didn't make the voltage regulator. If you haven't messed with the wiring since it worked last, then you don't have to worry about the wiring. Copy the letters on your voltage regulator, and the brand. look it up and find a picture that matches yours, the flashing is easy once you know which of the terminals to connect briefly, but you need to know the layout to figure that out. Or somebody who remembers it better than I do, I double check each time, not that often, and I never did it regularly "in my prime".
Here's the wiring diagram..... As far as polarizing, it is different for "Type A" and "Type B" Generators. What you have appears to be a Delco "Type A". American Bosch is usually "Type B" Here's the instructions
Thanks I’ll try that in the morning