Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with evaluating/buyer older excavator

john risner · 2024-06-21 20:31

I am clearing my own land in East TN and own and run a Bobcat E42 mini ex, ASV 135 (moved up from and ASV 75 in 2023) with mulcher, and recently bought a 1972 Cat D8H. I wouldn't have bought the Cat without having a great neighbor who not only has run them but worked on them. We replaced the rails and sprockets, refurb turbo and all new fluids and filters. Runs fine and great for building roads. My neighbor does the big work but he is teaching me how to run it. Anyway I wanted a larger mini ex, but during Covid the E42 (5 tons) was all I could get fast. It has been a good machine for it's size, but I am asking it to do too much. The land I am clearing is mixed hardwoods from saplings to 24". I mulch trees up to 5", save 5-8" for firewood, send 8-11 to the pallet mill and the 11"+ to the Amish mill. Digging roots out on a 20" scarlet oak and then moving those logs uphill is more than the E42 was built for. The D8 is great for knocking down trees, but there are places best done with an excavator, and I don't want to move downed trees out with a winch. I was thinking about trading in the Bobcat on a larger mini ex like the Bobcat E85 or Kubota KX80. Both of these are around 9 tons. I haven't priced the Kubota yet, but the Bobcat sticker is 140k which sounds way too high. I paid 61k for the E42 in 2021 during the height of Covid. All that is background to my other option - buying an old mid size (15-20 tons) machine. When I say old, I would prefer pre def, and expect that it would have 5-8000 hours on it. Much like the Cat D8, I am ok with investing in some parts and doing some work on it, but I want to avoid big jobs like cylinder reboring, or replacing all the seals and bushings. I check the auction sites and these things seem to trade at a reasonable value to me. But I don't have a handle on how much repair/update work is usual for, as an example a 15-20 year old 15 ton excavator with 8000 hours. I realize this question is machine specific, but can anyone offer general guidance? If I pay 30k for the example above, and budget 20k in parts and labor (mine and my neighbors who is very reasonable), will that get me a machine that is reliable for personal use of around 500 hours per year mostly clearing trees and digging ponds? All all cylinders and hoses pretty much shot at 8000 hours? I am comfortable evaluating the undercarraige and updating that if needed, but have no experience on other systems of big excavators. I am not hung up on brands, but appreciate any thoughts on this forum of the brands that are built well and last, and what to expect if I go down this road.

Replies23
  1. #1Lagwagon2024-06-21 20:55

    100% the 15-20t option, you won’t get far digging ponds with an 8t. What is your budget? That’s the key thing we need to know.

  2. #2Deere500a2024-06-22 12:34

    The 90s Japanese machines most had Cummins minimal electronics be aware of grey market ie purple and gray Komatsu or Cat that are actually Mitsubishi machines parts are hens teeth. 180/160 class counties pulled behind their dump trucks times see a good ex gov machine most of the time waiting for the spring Creek clean out

  3. #3Georgia Iron2024-06-22 13:55

    I have been looking over a few excavators on Facebook and cl, there is a nice selection of bigger machines 15 to 30 ton on Facebook in the south. Looks like a construction slow down is on the way. I was window shopping only. Rental fleets have been getting the snot worked out of them over the last few years so they are constantly getting new equipment. The older pre def machines are needing more maintenance, hoses and hards parts are getting more worn as they age so a lot of those are being upgraded, to newer machines. Timing is looking about right to find a deal. Here is an example Best offer-Excavator, Tandem dump truck, Tilt deck trailer, - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist Caterpillar 322CL excavator, 2001 tandem axle dump truck, 1996 Interstate Tilt deck trailer 40TDL, . 60,000 OBO , pictures upon request, macon.craigslist.org I don't see how the dump moves a 322 but what do I know?

  4. #4skyking12024-06-22 15:53

    Spend the extra money on a progressive thumb. Clearing is the job and that's the better tool.

  5. #5john risner2024-06-22 18:20

    Budget is 60k all in. Thinking 40k machine, 20 Parts and labor. That is machine, parts and labor to get it to a reasonable condition to work 5-600 hours for 4-5 years removing trees and digging ponds and roads.

  6. #6john risner2024-06-22 18:23

    Thumb is a definite. Would like a progressive but would settle for pin mount

  7. #7john risner2024-06-22 18:26

    Great advice. Since I hope to run it at least 5 years parts availability is an issues. Thanks

  8. #8Joe H2024-06-22 18:40

    From what I see on Youtube there are free for the taking old excavators and dozers buried in the woods everywhere. Most of them start right up with a battery and some new fuel. Not so ? Joe H

  9. #9BC Placer gold2024-06-22 18:52

    Very good advice! We have had both progressive & conventional…the pro-link is by far more useful; especially at full reach.

  10. #10john risner2024-06-24 16:35

    Those field and barn finds are little too much for me. Yes HeavyDSparks seems to get anything running, but to get one of those in the condition i want would take too much parts and labor. External engine work doesn't bother me - turbo, fuel pump, hydraulic hoses. What worries me is big cylinder work like reboring.

  11. #11Joe H2024-06-24 16:45

    Just kidding, I'm in the land of abandoned junk that sits in the desert. There's a big Volvo sitting down the mountain from me, I just know that moving it would be more than it's worth but I can't stop drooling when I pass by. Joe H

  12. #12john risner2024-06-24 18:38

    HA! I love those videos

  13. #13CM19952024-06-24 19:46

    That dump truck has a Chilton County Alabama tag on it. Interesting that it's for sale in Macon. Buyer beware with that lot.

  14. #14Georgia Iron2024-06-24 22:04

    Facebook www.facebook.com 300 Komatsu Excavator engine runs. It works however when hot the rotation is weak and one track is weak. I’m 74 yr old and just don’t have the ambition to deal with it anymore. I am motivated to sell or consider a trade. Please read the Hydroforce Heavy Equipment letter describing the work done. An old beast for 18,800

  15. #15skyking12024-06-24 22:28

    Swivel probably needs rebuilt.

  16. #16DMiller2024-06-25 05:50

    Seems a great many larger excavation companies around MO have stranded machines they do not want to invest the time or money into and offer them off at what they consider On the Cheap. Again Buyer beware as most need tons of work, parts are becoming scare on 15-20 year olds where many of these are closing in over 30. Then comes transport, when new were hauled in apart and assembled at site, these have to be removed same way, cranes, ground support crews, LOADS of heavy tooling and time paid for with real money.

  17. #17CM19952024-06-25 10:01

    However these old excavators give the youtubers hours of content... Will it crank??? So stupid and boring.

  18. #18DMiller2024-06-25 16:45

    And the idiots have no clue as to running one. Waste of air time.

  19. #19Deere500a2024-06-26 14:12

    Pardon Our Interruption No affiliation, a decent machine for the price

  20. #20skyking12024-06-26 16:11

    Progressive thumb that's a plus.

  21. #21MarcusZ19672024-06-26 18:10

    That same machine is on FB Marketplace... Facebook www.facebook.com If you don't FB, here is their site. 2004 CASE CX240 For Sale in Mount Airy, North Carolina 2004 CASE CX240 For Sale in Mount Airy, North Carolina at www.vastets.com. 2004 Case CX240, 9,123 Hours. Local trade in, Needs some work, great farm machine! Financing and Delivery options are available, 90 day deferred payment options!! Call, text, or email us today at Vast Equipment & Truck... www.vastets.com

  22. #22Lagwagon2024-06-26 20:53

    Depends what ‘needs some work’ entails……at least the Edwardscissorhands thumb looks in decent shape.

  23. #23Georgia Iron2024-06-26 22:17

    Comparing that to a new machine the cost difference between the 2 is a lot. I am not sure that I will be able to buy any new equipment again. Maybe an F450 or 250 and to think a 450 is pushing 90k for an xlt... The amount of money that you need to make a living and pay for the machine is like a prison sentence. It is a trap, all the while you can have 40% to 50% fall of the value in 2 years time. The only way it seems to work is if you pay someone else to run it and hope to make 10 or 20% at the end of the year. I know 2 guys that have new dump trucks, that they drive, to the tune of 250K ea new. Each truck has been back to the dealer for small issues. Sensors, wires, etc. Seems like it is always a 1200 or 1500 visit. Between them paying insurance, one of the guys is 35 his insurance is 30k per year. He makes around 900 to 1000 per day running his truck, he wears out tires fairly fast. I think the tires are around 650 ea. He is sitting in the truck far too long to pay the cost of keeping it on the road, in my line of thinking. He does not seem to be able to get ahead. Just keeping up and when it rains he is not working the truck. And time goes by fast, at the end of 3 or 4 years, you end up with a truck that might be worth 60 or 70k and it is pretty well worn... But thats where the money is for the little man, buy a decent used machine and it will pay for itself much faster. The super large corps that are turning machines over every 5 yrs or 2000 hours have men running them all day long on big jobs that it takes a large company to get. You can't get the big jobs unless you have enough men and machines to do it.