Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with excavator rental/purchase

sierradmax ยท 2013-08-29 10:41

I'm bidding a job which may require the purchase/rental of an excavator in which will be shipped to a remote location. I need to excavate and install a 38' long, 8' round, 6,000# tank 13' in the hole. Any suggestions?

Replies9
  1. #1Colorado Digger2013-08-29 10:56

    I would not think that is such a big deal apart form how remote the job is. If you are renting, make sure to get something with a thumb on it so you can do the clearing. How remote is the job? Does it require walking the machine for a long distance? I would think a 210/320 would be plenty big. Good Luck, CD

  2. #2sierradmax2013-08-29 11:03

    remote enough to air freight.

  3. #3norite2013-08-30 00:48

    Good advice from CD but how do you intend to air freight a 20 metric tonne excavator? You would need a transport plane from the air force to fly something like that.

  4. #4sierradmax2013-08-30 11:00

    Transportation is easy. We've flown several 40' containers in the belly of an Antonov. Google it. Impressive plane.

  5. #5robin yates uk2013-08-30 11:54

    how close is the nearest airfield? Who is paying for the machine to be moved?

  6. #6norite2013-08-30 12:14

    Then you know what you are doing as far as air transport, I've seen the Antonev on the Discovery channel, yes it is very impressive.

  7. #7lumberjack2013-08-30 18:54

    If the machine doesn't have to lift the tank (it could be rolled or lifted by another piece of equipment/apparatus) then a mini excavator would be the obvious choice to me if you have the time. You'll bench down 5' or so, then dig the last 8 from there lifting the spoils out. Assuming you didn't have to double handle your spoils, the hole could be dug here (27x40x13) in around 12 hours with a 4-5 ton machine. We have rock free clay. I assume air freight on a mini and skid steer would be far ahead of a 20t machine.

  8. #8Colorado Digger2013-08-30 21:27

    If you would be kind enough to explain the logistics of the operation in might be easier to offer advice. Regards, CD

  9. #9oceanobob2013-08-30 23:29

    post 8 by lumberjack describes exactly how we did a very similar job 'cept we used the backhoe to start the excavation, then the mini went in and threw it on the bench, every once in while the hoe TLB) would clear the bench...aside from the usual things like keeping the dig to intended size and not allowing excessive taper (eg it gets too small too soon)....I think it took us one good long day, the next day we put in the required gravel bed wrapped in a filter fabric....then we set the tank. We also installed a dry well so we could monitor the dig and dewater if necessary...I will always remember the delivery truck driver, there were stickers all over showing NOT to remove the straps until the load was under control of the offloading contrivance, even had a sketch showing the tank rolling off onto the Driver....of course he shined all these warnings...