Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with getting a job

d6catd ยท 2010-02-01 16:06

Hi guys, I have a question. I have just moved to the oklahoma city area and there are plenty of jobs out there and i have applied to just about everyone of them that i think that i qualify for and i just cant seem to get a response from any of them. I have given resumes put in apps and made tons of phone calls trying to get on somewhere. I am not the most experienced operator but I have been doing this stuff for 6 yrs now and i just cant seem to get a job here..I mean there has been a few jobs for finish operators but i didnt apply to them cuz i dont consider myself a finish operator but i think i can do pretty decent work should i apply to them anyway? just to get into the door. Im not sure what to do any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies6
  1. #1Cat is ALL2010-02-01 17:02

    You could try talking to someone higher up in the food chain. Do something that makes your resume stand out in a pile of 20 sitting on his desk. How long have you been waiting?

  2. #2Speedpup2010-02-01 19:37

    don't feel bad millions are in your boat. Keep plugging try taking it to a personal level if you can also talk to someone in person. Get a job and see how you do if they don't like you they will get rid of you. On the other hand they may keep you.

  3. #3joispoi2010-02-02 01:35

    Apply to everything, let the company decide if you're up to the task or not. Don't misrepresent your abilities but don't sell yourself short. You've got to convince someone that you're the man for the job. :usa

  4. #4ditchdiggerjcf2010-02-02 11:32

    I don't know how it is in OK but around here if you are clean cut, and not on dope that goes a long way towards getting hired

  5. #5Dozerboy2010-02-02 17:19

    Ya might try and stop at job sites you see around town and talk to the foremen. When I was laid off I applied for everything and called every constructor I knew of monthly. I got 1 call back/job offer as a labor for 2 weeks of work they needed help with. When I finely got a offer as a operator it was thanks to my old foremen putting in a good word for me with a guy he knew. Its hard right now on big job we've had 5 guys a day stop looking for work and I've had people ask me when I pull up somewhere in the Lowboy. Keep your name out there I have had 2 calls from apps I put in months ago.

  6. #6milling_drum2010-02-03 12:56

    People that work in Human resource offices at construction companies are generally paper pushers, they couldn't tell the difference between a grader operator or a dozer operator. In many cases they have NO idea of what type of qualifications a person needs in any specific area except by written directions of the supts. That being what it is, They need to be by passed completely and given your Info when a person in the field has said hes the one I want. As mentioned above, Job sites are a good go, showing up at the shop early in the morning when the crews are leaving, stick your nose in, find out whose shorthanded. Its also a good idea to have a look at the equipment to see what kind of shape its in, you don't want to get caught running junk and being stuck too it, (unless they pay well but thats unusual with companies that can't take care of equipment). Open yourself up to running anything, got a CDL? Use it until you can get to the dozer. I was just job browsing and saw a company in Oklahoma City called Silver Star Construction looking for help.