Good day all. I am considering purchasing a 32' tandem goose neck enclosed cargo trailer. I know there is a lot of junk out there used is an option but will be modified. I am looking for 7k axles, tandems, double jacks. Anyone have brand experience either good or bad as a starting point. Thank you
I am not sure what your putting in the trailer, but 7K axles is pretty light for a trailer like that. Take the weight of the trailer, minus 14K and figure 20% on the hitch transfering some of the weight to the truck and that is your capacity. Depending on the weight of the trailer and how you load it, I think I would try and find 9K axles that are oil bath running 17.5 tires. You state heavy duty so I assume your putting a lot of something in the trailer. If you hauling RZR's than 7K axles would work.
My best customer has been beating the stuffing out of a Wells Cargo for years. It is used every day for feed deliveries. It is amazingly well built.
Max load in trailer will be 10k
Then two 7K axles aren't heavy enough. Wag is thats at least a 6K trailer, empty. Might want to think of 3 axles if you won't spring for 9K that KSSS mentioned.
We have a 32’ sundowner aluminum cargo trailer. It weighs about 4K empty. We had it custom built with an insulated office in the front and storage in the back. We love it but it cost around 30k. A bare bones one would probably be about half that. It has dual 7k axles.
I'm a dealer for Sundowner and we do service on many others as well. Most of the steel frame/ aluminum trailers are very lightly built and show it quickly- As in for occasional use. Like bdog said the Sundowner has been getting very good reviews. We've done mobile clinics, offices, HD bulk drum chemical delivery and every one has been significantly less trouble than their previous trailer. I'm not sure about his weight though. Sundowner shows their 32' bumper pull race car series to be 6,880#. Axles- Heavier axles are fine, but make for narrower bed between fenders. That's why a lot of car haulers use triple axles, as well as the feeling in that group it reduces load on the truck.
I appreciate the info. This will be for a new business enterprise. A mobile spray foam rig. Most people start with a light weight bumper pull trailer that falls apart within a few years. I have visited with several operators out of my area that advised me to use a cattle style trailer confirming the 16' "heavy duty" cargo trailers are a waste of time.