Well for one of my college classes, i was asked to do a S.W.O.T analysis(strenghts, weakneses, oppertunitys, and threats) for a company. I of coarse, chose john deere. Now im stuck and cant think of any thing. If anyone can chime in and help that would be great! Im looking for strengths, weakness's, oppurtunitys, or threats, that pertains to john deere.:beatsme
Hi guys, Just saying hello and waiting to pick your brains with the ability to start new threads. I LOVE these forums! Thanks
There's a multitude of things to look @, financial strength, market capitalization, competition, gloabl markets, economic and financial conditions, production, R&D, labor, agriculture division, construction division, homeowner market, re-sellers, branding, name/logo/color recognition, manufacturing, outsourcing, etc Good Luck
ahhh business major?
strengths could be the brand name recognition of deere, the varity of the markets they they are in, redisential, ag, construction, and forestry. Weakness could be that the economy is in a recession and people arn't building or spending as a whole. Opportunities could be other untapped market sectors, for instance jd doesnt have cranes. Threats are the rising costs of materials, to the globalization of the equipment market.
wow you guys are great, thanks for the great answers! Keep them coming! No im not a business major, im a recreation major, and this is for my marketing class.
Strenghth- look under the hood Weakness- swampy fields opportunity- chance to drive a 200,000 dollar toy Threat- Catepillar Sorry, was bored, but I know Im not helping.
Weakness.....horizontal manufacturing structure. Deere may make some of the parts and do most of the engineering/design, but they are at their suppliers mercy, not to mention the global economy. CAT has been buying up scrap yards over the last few years in an effort to capture a source of raw materials (be it an ever so small portion of their consumption). Smart move in my opinion. Also take into account CATs moves such as buying a share of Perkins. They are as vertically integrated as modern companies get. Not near the level of Andrew Carnegie, but a step in the right direction. PS - I'm not a CAT fan. It's just a good business model.
One of the weakness is JD's market share and reputation in Asia Pacific region are really small, which is an important factor to overcome the economic depression risk. Looking at CAT and Komatsu and other manufactures performance in that area, it's hard for John Deer to catch up.
This may be an opportunity?? I often wondered why Deere hasn't tapped into the truck engine market. If my information is correct, I hear Cat is getting out of the truck engine market in 2009. :beatsme Maybe there is a reason for this but I have not ever heard of one.
A number of truck drivers I know that have been CAT loyal for years have had nothing but issues with the new CAT engines. One of the heavy haulers near Madison said I woudn't complain but the poor fuel milage but the dam thing doesn't have any power either. Could have somthing to do with getting out. Trbo
Not to get off the topic but I know personally that JD has been over in the Asian area with talks and working on marketing. I do not know any details but know that they have been over there. Trbo
Seel prices and fuel costs have an impact on this sector. compound that witht he economy and the companis are taking a hit right now. Terex has just hit a 52 week low in the past few trading days Cat is down as well. I'm not a watcher of JD so not sure where they stand but would bet it's down. As we all know here the economic slow down is hitting most of us and if you're not working you're not buying new iron. Trucking is hurting here with work slow people are cut throating and contractors are making the best of it high mileage hauls sometimes loaded both ways compound that with ruff job sites and chances of profit are looking bad. I'm about 3 days from going out of state for work. I've been dropping an average of 300 a day in fuel where 6 months ago it was more like 75. I've wiped out plenty of tires. To the point I have new rubber all the way around. Had to replace the clutch 3 months ago insurance ontop of tags and it's not looking good. Had I been drawing normal pay checks we'd be in the red big time. "I cut my pay" to 20% or less of 3 months ago.
Deere's weakness in the rest of the world is a good point. I've can't dig up my data from ConExpo, but I have market data based on unit volume (not revenue) for the world. Deere barely made the top 10. One of the GMs I work with used to be a product manager for Deere in Europe. It was a brutal job.