I am new to backhoes , this JD 310A is my first and I am using it around the farm. The dipper and main boom tend to sag when I am driving or not using them. Would this be a problem with the cylinder seals or the controls.The scoop and out riggers operate well. The bucket also has its issues. When I lift the bucket it comes up with a jerky motion not a smooth one, any suggestions? I'm sure you will be hearing a lot from me concerning repairs and maintenance. Thanks for the help Nick
The 310A was built in the 70s and early 80s. Thats 30 or 40 years old. I have a 310D that was built in 1992 and I am now replacing o-rings in the loader control valve because they are dried up and breaking up due to heat and age. My machine is 10 - 20 years younger than yours. There is a good chance that the cylinder seal kits have been replaced once or twice by previous owners but the control valves may still have original seals and o-rings. And like mine there may be some that have broken up and missing completely.
Would replacing the seals be a hard task or would it be better to have the shop do it?
Welcome to the forum fiatmom. :usa With a machine of that age you can expect the need of replacing various seals and o-rings. After all, those kind of things don't last forever. Replacing o-rings and seals in valve bodies are easier than getting the valve body or component in a position that you can work on it, whether it's re-seal in place or valve body removal. As for new seals in the cylinders, they're not hard to do as long as you have the needed tools and know how to do it. If you're not confident with your mechanical skills, best to remove the cylinder and let a shop do it. But if you're handy with wrenches, it's not that bad.
Well, I've worked on cars but I'm new to hydraulics. Which service manual (service/repair/shop??) should I get, and where is the best place to look for a used one? Also are there any special tools I would need?
It sounds like you need the Tech Manual. It's the same manual the dealer would have in their shop. The best place I found for John Deere Manuals is at johndeeretechinfo.com All the manuals are available in printed book form or on CD. I just purchased the Operators Manual and the Tech Manual for my 1974 310 on CD. Cost about $71.00 with shipping. The parts manual is on jdparts.com for free