Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with low oil pressurw switch location

kempfat · 2024-09-18 10:34

Hello! I have a cat 239D SN:BL903499. I am having a really hard time locating the Oil Pressure sensor. Also, I heard that there may be a bulletin about faulty oil pumps. Can anyone tell me if that is for this machine? When I start the engine it runs great but after about 30 seconds or so, the low oil pressure warning comes on the screen so I shut it down. is this the sensor?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-09-18 10:56

    I’ll have a look into how the warning system works but meantime Please can you post a photo of the message that appears on the Advanced Display.

  2. #2kempfat2024-09-18 11:14

    Thank you for getting back to me! Here is the requested photo.

  3. #3Nige2024-09-18 12:05

    Despite the fact that the warning message refers to the oil pressure "sensor" it's actually a normally-closed switch that opens when rising engine oil pressure passes a certain value. If for some reason the switch contacts do not open the software is programmed so that the Event only flags up after the engine has been running for at least 30 seconds. The switch Part Number is 544-4080, location as per the illustration below on the cylinder head right behind the fan pulley. I can't find the specification anywhere. If you want to test for pressure at that point it appears as though the thread on the switch is 1/8" NPT.

  4. #4kempfat2024-09-18 17:57

    Thank you! I think the switch is bad. I have 62psi for oil pressure. The resistance is at 29ohms ... I think it's supposed to be .4ohms please let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks again!