well i am building a house for myself and a buddy let me borrow a grove amz66 manlift. well it is kind of buggy. it likes to only go one direction regardles of the direction you tell it to. does anyone have any ideas???
Calling a Grove AMZ66 a "buggy" is being kind. Grove has made many good products over the years, the AMZ66 is an exception. These machines were one of the early machines where Grove began converting analog signals at the platform controls to digital signals, sending it down the boom cable to lower control box, then converting back to analog signals going to valves. This is all done with complicated pc boards and cirucits. The situation you describe is not unusual with these machines, they truely have a mind of their own. I have seen these models do some quirky things. Personally, I wouldn't trust one to raise me in the air. Not that it would drop me, but that it might die and not start again, I simply don't trust 'em.
i guess that is why he said keep it till your done. any ideas on a fix?
Sorry, can't help with that, been too many years since I worked on one. Even when I was working on them, the AMZ, I was working on one with problems and even Grove factory tech's couldn't tell me what to do with it. Maybe someone will jump in here and offer advice. Otherwise, I suggest going to a rental store and get a JLG to do the job.
Does this go for the MZ66 as well as the articulated model? I'm considering an MZ for my ranch.
Hmmmm....does it only do this in the basket or at the ground controls as well? If only in basket... inspect the two handles and see if they are the same. The old snorkels were but the newer ones have different joysticks and aren't interchangeable. Call grove and see if they are same part number maybe? If they are swap them and see if it follows. Most likely in the computer board AtcoEquip was speaking about. There are variable switches on the joysticks as well....if they are same part number maybe swap them. Thats the best advice i can give on this machine. Never worked on one before. Any time i get something new i go to the ole "theory of elimination" tactic. Good Luck!
2009, I sure hope its fixed by now.
Welcome to the forum flingwing. :usa Not sure about the particular machine you are looking at, but I worked on MZ66A machines of the late 80's vintage, and they were nothing like the AMZ models. Not sure if they made changes to them in the later years. I will say the MZ66A was a very heavy machine compared to other manufacturers comparable rigs, made them a bit of a challenge on soft ground, but they were solid units. What year model is the one you're looking at? If you go to look at it, open the lower control box and see if there is a large electonic circuit board in there. If there's not, just mostly terminal strips, relays, and such, it's electrical system is not like the AMZ. BTW, Minnpar is the distributor for Grove aerial lift parts now.
Thanks much. Just the things I was looking for. My post regarding the uni, wit a couple of pix, is in this forum, posted today.
LoL, I was responding to your post at this thread from an email reminder. Once I checked forum posts, I noticed your new thread. :tong
I have had to shimmy down the boom of one of these piles several times. Less than awesome these units were.
Hopefully my experience will be better than that, and I'll never be up in the basket without someone nearby to lend a hand with a manual operation if I don't pay attention to the battery condition indicator. Were most of the issues you had running out of power? If I were in business, I would not run one of these things, but for my purposes here (time is not money, only time) it should work for me.:beatsme
Oops, I see you must be commenting on the AMZ66, I was talking about my Bil-Jax.