Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Help with Terramite “sticking” in forward or reverse

dieselfuelonly ยท 2010-04-13 17:15

I recently took on a Terramite T5C backhoe plus some cash in trade for my Bobcat. I like the Terramite, its a tough little machine, dug out a stump with it a few days ago in no time. Anyway, the machine will "stick" in forward or reverse even when the pedal returns to the neutral position. Sometimes you can get it to stop sticking by moving the pedal in between forward and reverse quickly. Other times, you can shut the machine off and start it back up a few minutes later and it will be in neutral again, but as soon as you press the pedal and let off it will be going along on its own again. I've never worked on one of these machines before, can anyone give me some advice as to what may be wrong? Thanks, Dennis

Replies1
  1. #1willie592010-04-13 19:50

    Don't know much about a Terramite, but I'd bet it's a typical bi-directional hydrostat pump very much like most hyd drive machines. Check the components closely that control the shaft that controls the pump output. I've seen many of these type of units have links, and centering components come loose on the pump control shaft allowing the pump to loose it's mind and just drive where it wishes.