i have to rebushing my walking beams. Was wondering if theres a way to do it myself instead of taking it to shop. Just trying to save money. Thanks for any advice
Trust me on this, take it to a shop I did one set (trying to save money) mine was the kind you have to cut out. If you have the bolt in kind, its not as bad, buts its better to let a shop that has done this. I do mean a shop that has done this. If they dont have the proper press to press the bushings in and out, then they will have to take the beams to another shop. I think it took me all day to cut them out, then I took them to the shop and paid them to change the bushings, then I spent almost another day installing them. You do know you have to jack the truck up, remove the tires, so that takes jacks and blocking The bushings and labor to press them in, cost like $950 The same shop would have charged me $1500 to do everything, labor and materials So I worked, like15 hrs myself, then I hired a guy to help me and alot of fussing and cussing Its just not worth it and I save a buck whenever I can Did I say take it to a shop what kind do you have? bolt in or press in
Willis is right. I also learned the hard way many years ago. A good shop that has done this many times will get it done quicker and at actually a reasonable cost. Here is a PDF of the local Log Trucker magazine. Look for the ad on page 14 or 35. It is for Scheller Diesel Service, they advertise a "Complete lower rebush" done in under 3 hours for the price of $875 including parts and labor. http://loggersworld.com/sites/loggersworld.com/files/media/LT_Nov2011.pdf So shop around in your area.
X3 ^^ Its an ugly job and when you factor in the truck being out of service a couple of days while your working on it the cost looks better .
I had my 87 Ford LTL 9000 done for around $1000 by the local spring shop with a good reputation. Dropped it off around dinner time picked it up the next night. I could have picked it up the next morning if I scheduled it that way (They run 2 shifts) but it's just a hobby truck for me.