Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HEO math skills

jayk ยท 2014-04-18 19:59

I am going to apply for an HEO apprenticeship and need to know exactly what kind of math I should brush up on. I know that excavating requires basic skills in knowing how to calculate slope and volume. But is there anything else beyond the basics? And could someone give me some examples of these problems n the field?

Replies20
  1. #11466IH2014-04-18 21:36

    There wasn't anything spectacular when I took it a couple years ago. Stuff like if a backhoe moves 1/3 of a yard a dirt in 3min how many yards can it move in 2hrs or if a machine has a 96gal fuel tank how many gallons are left at an 1/8 of a tank Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

  2. #2fixou8122014-04-18 22:22

    "Strong like bull, Smart like Tractor! " I dont know but if you could figure out the area of an irregular rectangle that would be right smart.

  3. #3jayk2014-04-19 00:13

    What was the interview process like? What kind of questions?

  4. #4qball2014-04-19 07:06

    Questions like..... "Have you ever been in a cockpit before?" "Do you like to watch gladiator movies?" "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?" You know, the usual.

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-04-19 14:00

    If you are better at math than this chick you'll be just fine... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk

  6. #6buckfever2014-04-19 15:50

    I watched that for about 15 seconds and my head felt like it was going to pop.

  7. #7JD955SC2014-04-19 21:41

    She's probably one of the few people that understand Common Core... It's a damn good thing she's got good looks because somebody else got her share of common sense.

  8. #8fixou8122014-05-08 18:54

    YOU May become an operator if you can get this simple math problem Right This arithmetic problem is with out tax.

  9. #9fixou8122014-05-08 19:02

    With out tax. ( and I am not telling you th price of the hammer ) If the "Combined price" of a hammer and a nail comes to $1.10 And the hammer costs one dollar More than the nail. ..... How much does the nail cost?

  10. #10CM19952014-05-08 19:36

    What I look for in an operator is the ability to transfer grades. The surveyor will give you a bench mark and you will need to use that as a reference point to set grades on the site. Depending on the size of the site there may be multiple bench marks. This example is for small sites. For simplicity let's say the surveyor sets a nail in a telephone pole and the elevation reads 100, which means that elevation is 100' above sea level. The pad for the building has a proposed finished floor elevation (FFE) of 98.5'. You will need to know the height of gravel and concrete, for this example we'll use 6" stone and 6" of concrete which comes to 1'. The sub grade for the building pad will be 97.5, 98.5-1 = 97.5. Set the laser up, place the grade rod on the benchmark and set the target on the rod to the laser. It doesn't matter the height of the laser or what the rod says, as long as you set the target on the rod to the laser reading. Say the target reads on the rod 3.50, which means 3.50 is your reference point which is 100' - the benchmark. Your sub grade is 97.5, so subtract 97.5 from 100 and you have 2.5. Add 2.5 to 3.50, the reading on the rod, which is 6.00. Move the target on the rod to 6.00 and you have your sub grade reading. Calculating slope is an easy one as well. Rise over run. The rise is the change in elevation and the run is the distance. Say you have a 100' run of 18" RCP at 2% slope. Multiply 100 by .02 (2%) which is 2'. That means one end of the pipe will be 2' higher than the other end. You will see graded slopes referenced as 2:1, 3:1, etc. The first number is the horizontal over every 1' of vertical. So for a 2:1 slope, you will have 2' of slope (horizontal) to 1' of vertical. The smaller the first number the steeper the slope. Remember don't get too hung up on the layout, as the surveyors will lay out corners, pipe runs, grades and slopes. You need to know what the staking means and how to take their staking and turn it into a finished product. The volume, production and fuel usage calculations will come later as you learn how to construct the job. Estimates and schedules are done by estimators and schedulers and should already be calculated before the 1st yard of dirt is moved. Not saying this is not important knowledge to know but these numbers are done during the pricing/bidding stage. Of course there is a lot more to learn, I learn new things everyday. Arm yourself with the basics and keep your eyes and ears open on the job site, you can learn a lot from experienced folks.

  11. #11grandpa2014-05-08 20:42

    Sorry CM,,, but 100 doesn't mean 100 ft above sea level. :tong Even in the mountains they use 100 as a reference point (gotta start somewhere). Somewhere on your drawings it should say 100 equals and they the MSL (Mean Sea Level) ie..... 100 =12,031 FT MSL.

  12. #12CM19952014-05-08 20:55

    Can't comment on how they do it up your way but if the surveyor here sets a bench mark at 100', it references 100' above sea level - give or take of course. We go off sea level datum, of course it's not precise but all elevations are labeled what they are. On the current job I am on the bench mark is 444.34. 400 to 800 is the range of elevation change I usually work with. Very rarely do I see a set of prints that has a generic 100 as a bench mark. I just used 100 in the example to simplify the math.

  13. #13grandpa2014-05-08 21:14

    I was sitting here thinking to myself... if your only hundred feet above sea level, no wonder you worry when hurricane's come your way..... washing out all your grade stakes...... lol, thanks for clarifying.

  14. #14CM19952014-05-08 21:19

    Hey, like I said I learn something new everyday. Didn't know there was a reference of 100 =12,031 FT MSL. All our elevations are "real time" for lack of a better word.

  15. #15grandpa2014-05-08 21:24

    In your case, 100 = 444.34Msl..... In my case I was showing you a mountain type reading..... Are you getting my drift???

  16. #16CM19952014-05-08 21:26

    I understand now but that's not the way our plans are designed. Never heard of a mountain type reading, thought that might be a standard somewhere.:beatsme

  17. #17grandpa2014-05-08 21:33

    I think this is a yankee and a rebel having a " a failure to communicate ".. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

  18. #18CM19952014-05-08 21:37

    No, just a different means and methods to build a project.:cool2

  19. #19old-iron-habit2014-05-08 21:38

    On every new building project I have done in the last 40+ years the ground floor slab has a Datum like grandpa said, elevation 1,031 = 100. Normally find it listed on the slab on grade. However the civil drawing are always referenced in real elevations based on sea level and is usually in tenths of feet. I am inclined to believe you are both right. OUCH.

  20. #20fixou8122014-10-21 19:03

    "The Tornado in a Junkyard Theory" (of the universe) If I remember correctly it goes something like this..... If you had an Infinite number of Junkyards.... And an Infinite number of Tornadoes. .... Sooner or Later the end result will be. ... A Row of Brand New Cars ! Btw I'm doing the math now