Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Here’s an unusual crane accident

Welder Dave · 2019-01-29 01:20

Wonder if the pilot aboard from BC Coast Pilots will get fired? https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...-ship-in-vancouver/ar-BBSRJGr?ocid=spartandhp

Replies14
  1. #1Vetech632019-01-29 07:08

    Hell, we got guys here on this forum that could fix that up...….NO PROBLEM!

  2. #2Hank R2019-01-29 08:06

    Nothing a container full of money can not fix...

  3. #3d9gdon2019-01-29 09:44

    "but facility spokeswoman Louanne Wong says no one was hurt." Meanwhile, her brother Sum Ting Wong, the crane operator, had nothing to say.

  4. #4hosspuller2019-01-29 10:06

    From other videos … doesn't look like the ship was the cause. The other crane booms are lifted over the ship. Seems like the crane boom decided to let go just as the ship was being berthed. I think the ship saved the crane from toppling into the water. Someone is going to pay a bunch of demurrage charges.

  5. #5Hank R2019-01-29 12:12

    I am thinking from a few pictures on the news someone did not lift the crane boom high enough. I am guess it will be a week before thing get cleaned up and damage is added up. Any way it is huge $$$$

  6. #6John C.2019-01-30 11:56

    With the cost of holding that ship in port, I would guess they could have it cleared in a couple of days. Of course that is working day and night and after the lifting plan is finished.

  7. #7DMiller2019-01-30 15:27

    Nothing a crew of guys with gas axes cannot remedy IN A HURRY. Might be fun recovering the chunks! Appears was number two of three that dropped.

  8. #8hosspuller2019-01-30 18:42

    Speaking of Gas Axes... I wonder if the boom could or will be cut loose. Then another crane pick off the pieces. The cranes are on a runway parallel to the ship. Seems like the expedient path to get the ship unloaded and on its way again. Anybody in the area that would post follow ups for us ?

  9. #9Hank R2019-01-30 19:30

    This is all I could find out I did a goggle of Vancouver port Crane ship accident Sorry I tried the copy and paste and did not work https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video-shows-crane-collapsing-at-port-of-vancouver-1.4274405 The vessel is still being held alongside with tugs as the crane boom is now on top of a container stack toward the rear of the ship. Since Monday, GCT’s engineering and maintenance teams, together with external engineering contractors have been working to gain a complete understanding of the incident and activate a recovery plan. On Jan. 28, a 900-tonne floating crane, called The Beast, was brought in. A second 600-tonne crane, called the Artic Tuk, arrived Tuesday. The floating cranes will work together to support recovery operations. GCT says an exclusion zone has been set up to ensure the safety of everyone at the terminal and for any operational impacts.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2019-01-30 20:22

    I think Sum Ting Wong was quoted to say I did No Ting Wong. He claimed that Boom Down Flat was in his Wong position.

  11. #11Welder Dave2019-01-30 22:56

    The ship hit it pretty good. Somebody wasn't paying attention. What is the capacity of the container crane?

  12. #12bccat2019-01-31 01:09

    I heard 1000 tons, they are now using the smaller one rated at 900 t

  13. #13hosspuller2019-01-31 01:20

    According to this article https://www.americanshipper.com/new...ancouver-after-hit-by-vessel?autonumber=73259 "...A container crane can lift only 40 tons..." (from some of the ship to shore crane videos, they're very quick to lift and traveling)

  14. #14bccat2019-01-31 11:01

    You are right, they are bringing in 1000 ton floating crane to lift the container crane tomorrow, plus a 900 t as a backup