Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hex Heads

Dean O'Brien ยท 2017-10-26 07:13

Easy one I'm sure for everyone I'm sure. As cat gear likes to mix imperial bolts with metric, what's your method for determining the right tool for hex head bolts or is there something I'm missing?

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2017-10-26 09:10

    If the question is how do you tell the difference between the "imperial" sized bolts and the metric ones that should be easy by a look at the heads. This first image shows the markings on the "imperial"/inch sized bolts: And this next picture shows a couple metric bolt heads, note the metric heads have the grade number on them 10.9.

  2. #2Dean O'Brien2017-10-26 16:14

    My mistake good sir I forgot to add "INHEX" to my original thread! I was aware though of the method you described. Which I mainly use to determine if it it metric or imperial. By looking At the heads of the normal bolts on the machine.