Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hey Do-Mor Guys!Should I Buy This Do-Mor?

Stevie Wander ยท 2009-11-25 18:52

I'm looking at a 1979 707 the owner says has a bad ring gear in front, 2 bad injectors, and the loader's off of it waiting to have a reconditioned main arm straightened out. Do the injectors run off the main camshaft on those Detroit Diesels? Is it possible the lobes are worn off? Is it hard to find a differential for these? I know almost nothing about diesels. I'm a total newbie to equipment and I'm trying to get something hefty to manage 12 acres of trees, sand hills, and swamp in Michigan (Big Rapids) :notworthy

Replies15
  1. #1fendtman2009-11-27 18:23

    hope you get it cheapl it is going to be costly to repair. I didnt like the view you have of the loader from platform. guy in manistee that can get parts and work on them. think you could find something better out there.

  2. #2pwrstroke6john2009-11-27 18:32

    Thats alot of repairs and money to put in a machine that is pretty old and sounds like its been ran hard.

  3. #3Stevie Wander2009-11-29 03:09

    Do-Mor fixer-upper It has nearly 11000 hrs. Owner put 4 brand new tires on it and claims it needs a set of injectors (2 known bad), a front ring gear, and some straightening to an otherwise reconditioned loader main arm... Owner claims that's pretty much the story. Claims hydraulics are good and is otherwise workable. Anybody know what this machine is worth, in dependable running condition, and what are these repairs going to cost me if someone else does the work? I'm mostly looking for something to shape our 12 acres a bit and not get stuck in some areas of (not quite) blow sand and a few slightly boggy spots. I was planning on using the backhoe to push dead trees over and adapt it for material handling and "cherry picking".. I broke my back twice and I want to add on to our house and pole barn, so I need something to help me do all the things I can't anymore not to mention what I could never do in the first place. OH! and did I mention cheap?! It has to be cheap and I'm thinking this can stay in my budget, but as you can see, I'm only guessing so far... :spongebob "Optimus Prime's got nothing on me, Patrick!"

  4. #4Stevie Wander2009-11-30 00:31

    Forgot: Thanks For Input Fendtman & Pwrstroke6john... I appreciate your input. You're right in that it's the basic common sense. I'm not looking for a machine that will work as hard as you guys would certainly use it. It will be pretty much babied here. If it starts when I crank it and doesn't leak, smoke, boil over, pop hoses left and right, or die... I probably don't have a choice, but to hire a field tech to go out with me to look it over and get a small picture of what's there. There's few things that suck more than spending money on someone else's machine...:Banghead I read that year old thread on Do-Mors titled "Unidentified Loader" and it sounded like there's some guys that just love those machines (John... :cool2 But I can't find a single other machine of this vintage anywhere on the internet... JOHN: the owner told me that Elmer's Construction bought out what ever was left of Do-Mor from someone else who owned them in the interim... Do you know if this is true or who is the best to talk to about service and parts? Who do you trust the most for your machine? I'm going to go look at it tomorrow after I talk to Elmers and AIS. Is there anyone else you think I should talk to? Thanks again! Steve

  5. #5pwrstroke6john2009-11-30 01:50

    Elmers does run quite a few of them and it seems from looking at there site they repowered most of them with john deere diesels. There a pretty simple machine where you can usually access about anything you may need to work on. As for parts and knowledge on domors there's the guy in manistee who has worked on them for a while and has a lot of knowledge. I have long since lost his number though, and Im pretty sure its the same guy that fendtman is talking about. Heres a link to the elmers inventory. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&pcid=2970087&dlr=1&catid=1046&bcatid=4 There was fairly new CDS domor that went at the dunkle auction this spring for 20500, which is a great price for the machine, but then what was probally the same machine was on again this fall over there in harrison so I dont know if it actually sold. Heres the link to the pictures if you want to see a great looking machine. http://www.factstechnologylive.com/...ntRow=65&LayoutID=107#javascript:DoNothing();

  6. #6Stevie Wander2009-11-30 04:08

    Owner wants to Sell BAD! He was literally begging me to buy it for $5500...... I'm looking at it tomorrow. The bent boom was from another machine. I have trouble understanding the guy. From what I could understand, the original has a structural problem, but he mumbles short phrases like Norm MacDonald, and I'll think he's talking about the 707, and it turns out he's talking about another loader he had once... ointhead I was shopping for a backhoe for cheep as possible and praying for a 4x4. I missed a Case 580C w/real cab & extendahoe last week for $7700 in excellent condition... It's really going to pinch to spend that much, but if this DoMor can dance a jig for 8K, It'll be a dream machine for me. I'll actually be able to do things I've only been dreaming of since my back went south...:Banghead If I could put a tree spade on it...:ban

  7. #7Stevie Wander2009-11-30 04:30

    Elmers Has Eight 707's up for sale... I saw 3 x 1985's for $23K, 1 x 1989 for $17K, 3 x 1992's from $42K to $48K, and a 2000 for $65K listed for sale by Elmers... When you say they have a lot of them.... define a lot....

  8. #8fendtman2009-11-30 07:38

    just one word just check what it will cost, heard backhoe not worth much.

  9. #9Stevie Wander2009-12-01 04:58

    Owner's Trying To Hide... Everything! MAN, what an experience that was! I went to see it and the owner was pretending to hook a battery charger to the battery, but just had it connected to the disconnected cables... ointhead:dizzy:spaz I tracked down Bob Eipperle and he agreed to go with me next week to help figure out if this thing is salvageable. Bob actually built the machines from 1976 through ???? and said the machine wasn't even a '79... He said it had to be '75 or pre- since they never made them in this configuration. The 2 configurations he discribed seem to be the front and the back of this machine, like someone welded 2 different machines together... The owner was really hard to talk to. he was more interested in showing me old photo albums and some Lubratex stuff he discovered, than hooking up a battery to the DoMor... which never happened BTW.... I'm going back with Bob next week and we'll comb through it and see if he can fix it and keep me in my budget. I think it's a frankenstein and from what Bob said, the problem with the front diff might just be wrong parts glommed together. They used many different ring and pinion combos and compensated with different planetary sets to always get the same final ratio... The owner said the front has a lot of slop (sounds like mismatched gears to me) and he disconnected the drive shaft so the front and rear wouldn't fight each other....:cool2 really! He sure did everything he could to try to get me to put money down without turning it over.. :shf The front boom he bought to replace the broken one, he claimed was rebuilt, but it turns out that Bob remembered the owner and the boom which IT's original owner beefed up after crimping it and then just left it as a core on a brand new boom that Bob made. I told the owner, if he didn't hook up a battery to the thing I wasn't coming back, but I will anyway. If there's useable parts here, this is the only way I'll ever be able to afford a machine like this, and God knows I need it. If I budget down to a newer, smaller standard backhoe loader, I'll just end up burying it in the sand or swamp here, or spending WAY too much time moving earth around with a smaller loader. There is no grader...:umno This guy's so hard to understand... On the phone, he said, "Oh Sure!" when I asked about the grader, but God knows what he was actually talking about. Every time I ask him a question about his machine, he'll start raving about it and it always turns out he's talking about someone else's completely different machine!:bash Bob Eipperle is an incredibly nice guy and extremely helpful. he's operating under the name "West Coast Farm Service" at 231 889-3530 in Manistee, still building machines if I heard him right...

  10. #10fendtman2009-12-01 08:03

    john did you check out schultz aucton a few weeks ago? went to look at the domor on the auction bill, the one on the lot appeared to be not the same one in the picture, no one around to ask questions, it went for about 8.9k per 1800 last bid web site. the one on the lot looked awful nice. stevie: did west coast tractor have any farm tractors on the lot? I see he recently moved. Is he charging you for his services. The guy in manistee said that the axles in the domor were from military trucks if I reminder right. The machine you are looking at, roughly were is it located, If it is by freesoil, MI it had the rear end out of it, ran out of lub. what is your guy asking, just curiuos.

  11. #11pwrstroke6john2009-12-01 14:39

    Yea I seen the domor that schultz on the miedema auction. the one that was in originally shown on there website was a pretty nice machine with the cummins in it. That one was with rieth riley a while ago and then changed hands about every few years. But then on the listings they just had a 707 thats been for sale on equipment trader for the last 3 years.

  12. #12Stevie Wander2009-12-01 18:18

    He Dropped His Price... But it won't mean much until we figure what this cluster#@&* is... He has it listed on machinery trader for 7.6K, Craigslist for 6.5K and told me on the phone he'd take 5.5... Bob said he'd meet me up there in Petoskie for $75 flat. That was really nice. AIS wanted $100/hr plus $2.10/mile (132 mile round trip).... :jawdrop:eek2 According to Bob and my observations, it's an older machine with frame mods (I think it was a full clip) to get the Detroit into it. God knows what it has on it right now that's good, but I'm betting that if the diff isn't actually broken, someone pieced this machine together from parts of several and ended up with mismatched gears in the front. The owner pulled the short driveshaft off the front so "they wouldn't fight each other". The quote came out of his lips in front of my face and today the owner says, "no no no, I didn't say that, I was just saying so it wouldn't do more damage, that's the way I learned..." he said the private party he bought the thing from, bought it from a paving company, and used it as the sole excavator on his own property to move quote: "thousands and thousands of yards"... I wonder what the story will sound like next time... opcorn I have to head out to PA to visit my mom recently out of the hospital... I was going to leave today but it's not working out. It makes more sense to leave in the morning than drive all night and sleep all day. I'll keep in touch at the library till I get back next week. I've just talked to Bob again and he was pretty adamant about seeing the thing run before it was worth working on the front end. He said he saw a machine sell last week for 4.6K in running condition with both the backhoe and grader...:Banghead I missed it, I missed it, I missed it, Thanks All! Hey, check this out: :jawdrop: I Ahm the Ghost Ahv Jacahb MAAAAAHHHLEY!

  13. #13Stevie Wander2009-12-01 18:45

    Re: West Coast Farm Service... I have no idea what's on the lot. I just talked to him on the phone. I think I gave the number above... It's 231 889-3530 and his name is Bob Eipperle (Eye-pearly) Steve

  14. #14Stevie Wander2009-12-02 13:37

    West Coast Farm Service eMail Address Bob's eMail address is [email protected]

  15. #15pwrstroke6john2010-06-19 22:21

    Six months late but if you didnt end up purchasing that domor and youre still intrested in one, we recently replaced our 707 and its up for sale. Ill get some pictures up in a day or two.