Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hey, Western PA guys

digger242j ยท 2005-09-26 13:46

Any of you planning on attending PA One Call's SEPTEMBER SAFETY DAYS ? It looks pretty interesting. I only heard about it yesterday morning.

Replies8
  1. #1xkvator2005-09-27 00:49

    FREE LUNCH... :bouncegri

  2. #2xkvator2005-09-28 09:51

    anybody going? where's the public works location on 19...which way and how far from Bobcat?

  3. #3BRL2005-09-28 11:45

    Looks like a cool event! This might help with the directions question, although they don't mention how far from Bobcat. http://www.pa1call.org/WebSite/Events/2005_programs/Safety_Days/safety_day_directions_western.htm

  4. #4Electra_Glide2005-09-28 12:11

    Based on those directions, it should be just slightly further north on Rt. 19 than Bobcat, on the opposite side of the street (assuming you're heading north). The fire station is pretty hard to miss, as it's a rather large building, and has a blinking traffic light in front of it. Wish I could go, but have other commitments... Joe

  5. #5digger242j2005-09-28 13:55

    I'm gonna try real hard to make it there in the afternoon. My wife's working then--I'll have baby duty anyway, so I wouldn't be working. I'll work the first half of the day. I told my wife (yeah, right, "told"--I asked, nicely ), if she'd have the twins fed and dressed when I walk in the door, that we''ll go out right behind her. I figure I can still get there just in time for the end of lunch. I'd like to try the backhoe rodeo, but somehow I can't imagine them letting me do that with the twins sitting in my lap.

  6. #6Electra_Glide2005-09-30 10:58

    Well...did anybody go? Joe

  7. #7digger242j2005-09-30 13:59

    Yeah, I went. I was the only guy there who was pushing a stroller. It was a pretty nice affair. I missed the backhoe rodeo, but I did make it in time for lunch, which was real good. I was too late for most of the demonstrations too. I don't know how long the webpage I linked to above will remain active. For those who didn't get a look at the website, here's a list of the demos: 2005 WESTERN PA SAFETY DAY Thursday, September 29, 2005 Cranberry Township Public Works Facility, Rt. 19, Cranberry, PA DEMONSTRATIONS Ground Penetrating Radar - Demo Area I 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 7:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Jim Verga, Eastcom Associates, Inc. Locating Techniques - Demo Area I 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 8:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Bob Scullion, Bob Scullion & Associates Soft Excavation - Demo Area II 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 8:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Mark May, Safe-Find Utility Locators Confined Space Entry - Demo Area II 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tony Romano, Susquehanna Safety Solutions Trench Box Installation - Demo Area II 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 9:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Ken Paytas & Steve Schnelle, Trench Shoring Services Trench Rescue - Demo Area II 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 10:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Greg Dinko, PA State Fire Instructor Blue Box (Gas) - Demo Area IV 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 11:30 a.m. Jack Merckle & Scott Nath, Columbia Gas of PA, Inc. Jaws of Life - Demo Area III 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Mars Volunteer Fire Department Work Place Safety - Demo Area IV 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 12:00 p.m. Morris Helton, Dept. of Labor & Industry, Bureau of PennSafe First Aid - Demo Area IV 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 12:30 p.m. Beth Meahl, Pro-Am Safety, Inc. Electrical Safety - Demo Area IV 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Demonstrator: 1:00 p.m. Denny Geisler, Duquesne Light Company And here's a list of the classroom sessions: Session I: PRE-DESIGN and PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETINGS Working on a confusing project? Does it extend over a large geographic area? Learn how to communicate where your work site is located. Learn how to coordinate an on-site meeting with affected facility owners. 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 8:00 a.m. Tom Ward, Dept. of Labor & Industry, Bureau of PennSafe Session II: BEFORE NOTIFYING - PREPARE! Tired of bidding on a project only to find more than you bargained for? Learn how to visually inspect a work site before bidding. Learn what subsurface utility engineering (SUE) is and how using white paint may lower your costs. 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 8:30 a.m. Bill Balin, Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. Session III: HOW TO MAKE THE PROCESS OF NOTIFYING EASIER What are the benefits of entering your routine and design notifications over the internet instead of calling? Learn what a Customer Service Representative sees when you give them your work site information over the phone. 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 9:00 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Dan Lucarelli, Pennsylvania One Call System, Inc. Session IV: REDUCE YOUR RISK - UNDERSTANDING LOCATING Learn about common tools used in locating underground lines, and what conditions effect the locating process. Learn why some lines are thoroughly marked while others are not. 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 9:30 a.m. Jim Verga, Eastcom Associates, Inc. Session V: KEEPING IT REAL WITH OSHA Learn what an OSHA inspector looks for on a work site. Find out why a work could be cited by OSHA. Learn the specific steps in keeping your employees safe. 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Robert Szymanski, OSHA Session VI: WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IN AN EMERGENCY? Learn the definition of an emergency. Discover how a permanent pipeline marker can help you in an emergency, and how should you react to a leaking natural gas or petroleum line. Do you know what the danger signs are? 09/29/05 - Western PA Safety Day Speaker: 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Keith Swanton, T W Phillips Gas & Oil Co. _____________________________________________________________ In addition to those, there were a bunch of vendors. Lot of interesting stuff to look at. At the conclusion of the whole thing, they gave away the door prizes. They had two tables. They went through the first table, and if your number was called, you got to choose what you wanted. They had some small tools, coolers, radios, first aid kits etc. There were probably 30-40 prizes. Then, they put all the numbers back in the hat, and picked again for the second table. That one had the really good stuff--stuff like a pair of Steelers tickets, four Penguins tickets with a parking pass, 3 copies of MS office (a $600 software package), a nice power saw, etc. That table, they told you which prize they were drawing for. Some people won twice. I'd recommend going the next time they have one.

  8. #8xkvator2005-10-02 07:53

    They should have it on Saturday.....PUCA has a show at Seven Springs every couple years.....