Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi Digger…

Jasper ยท 2010-10-30 09:49

Now I know I'm not a clever chap but on other vBulletin forums there are two icons that seem to be missing here, one for posting pics the other for movie clips. I know I mentioned this in a PM a few days ago but nothing seems to have changed, I still cant post pics which is a little frustrating. I suppose it's not a major issue, I can post a link to a pic... ...not really the same as posting the pic though is it, any thoughts?

Replies9
  1. #1tonka2010-10-30 10:21

    works for me....

  2. #2digger242j2010-10-30 10:46

    Hi, Jasper. Maybe my reply in PM was a bit hasty. You're probably looking for the "insert image" icon, (two little mountains), which enables you to hotlink an image that's hosted elsewhere into your posts here. (We don't host videos here at all, but you can embed YouTube links in posts.) We don't use the Insert image function or the tags on HEF because we've found that it works better if the images are stored on our own server. That way, we don't have little red x's showing up in place of the pictures when somebody decides to change or remove the location of the images they've linked. Sorry for the confusion. :o Some members choose to post links to photobucket, or similar sites, but the same disadvantges apply. If you look right below the reply box, you'll find "additional options", which contains the "manage attechments" button. There's a discussion of how to use that process [URL=""]here.[/URL]

  3. #3willie592010-10-30 18:29

    Hey Jasper, posting a video link (like You Tube) is rediculously easy. Simply copy the URL in the web address bar of the video, then paste the link here. This one from You Tube YouTube - Goose walkaround

  4. #4ke6gwf2010-10-31 17:23

    I am pretty sure I just used the "insert picture" hotlink button last night... Can't find it today, which led me to here. So now a question, is the re-sizer no longer working or in use? I have my pics on Picasa, and can't figure out how to post them without manually resizing them first. I saw discussion on it after a server move, but I didn't see any definite recent answers. Thanks! Ben~

  5. #5willie592010-10-31 17:36

    Yes, we did have a auto re-sizer on the forum, but after the hacker attack back in the summer, it's a feature that's still in the process of being restored, so for now you have to use a program to re-size pics to be able to post them.

  6. #6lumberjack2011-12-25 20:34

    I found this thread on a search on why IMG tags don't work here. I was trying to start a thread in the Compact Wheel Loader forum talking about/showing my Gehl AL340. After I found this thread I tried to upload via an URL, although it seems that regardless of the url, the uploader says it's invalid. Any advice? Here's an example of a picture I was trying to post. http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/10mmsheepdog/Trees/7c7aee1f.jpg

  7. #7lumberjack2011-12-25 20:38

    Here is the picture of the picture on my screen. I'm guessing why I can't upload from the url is it's because the picture is too large. (Posted from Tapatalk, FWIW)

  8. #8lumberjack2011-12-25 20:48

    Apparently the size was the hangup. I get limiting image size to conserve bandwidth on pictures on your server. I know I'm new to the forum, but is there any chance ya'll have been considering reinstating IMG tags? Also apparently Tapatalk has straighted out their uploading issue I was having on other forums. That will make it easier to upload pictures as well.

  9. #9digger242j2011-12-26 01:26

    It's also a matter of having images that fit the screen. Few things are more annoying than an image that's so wide you have to scroll left and right to read the rest of the thread. It hasn't really come up recently, at least as far as I'm aware. And again, as I said above, the issue of those little red X's that happen when somebody fails to maintain their image hosting site mitigates in favor of hosting images here. (And Steve is paying for a lot of server space just for the images, which runs contrary to the theory that image size is restricted only for that reason.)