Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hi guys, Newbie here to the forums

Fins ยท 2013-11-13 15:59

Just this Monday I managed to get employed in a heavy haul company that moves anything that moves. Great to get the job, bad that I know very little about the operations of such equipment. He is contracted to road rebuilding companies. 80% of the moves are from one side of the barrier wall to the other. The owner/my trainer is a hustler. He'll run 8-10 moves a day in heavy Miami area traffic. He threw me to the wolves by just saying to get it and load it, giving me the keys. A bit of back ground. I've driven tractor trailer for 33 years, near 2.75 million miles. Lot's of heavy equipment that was loaded and unloaded for me. I never really had to operate it. Now I do. Moving it, no worries. I can drive anything that moves. But this guy is a pusher and instead of showing me the basics, he tells me to get to it. Okay. So, I get to it. The last time I ran any type of construction equipment was when everything had sticks and levers. You did a days work on them. Now everything is joysticks and in the dark with just your little head light on you head, it can be intimidating. I really want to do good by this man. He could have kicked me to the curb the first few hours, but he can see I have the drive to learn and I do. Old gray haired dogs can still learn a few new tricks. The big question, other than learning in the field or an expensive school, are there any other ways to smooth out my operations? I've done a few 320's or thereabouts excavators, a compactor, (roller), a 938, 950 and few assorted others. But I got on a Deere dozer yesterday and couldn't get that thing to budge. Safety was unlocked, I had it in reverse, throttle pedal was released but nothing. After about 3 minutes of watching me, the boss jumped up, turned up the throttle and bingo, we're moving. It was embarassing to say the least. I have 20 guys waiting for this machine to hit the ground and the rookie can't move it. We run low-boys, flats, stretch, and Landoll stye trailers. I would like to find a place to get some basic movement knowledge. I hopped on a brand new Cat Grader and was totally lost. Any help would be a Godsend so that I can show this man I can do it. I fear no mechanical beast. I control it, it doesn't control me. But jeez, all I want to do is load and unload it for now. Thanks in advance for any help and education I can get here. Fins

Replies7
  1. #1wosama931b2013-11-13 19:18

    Hi Fins, Welcome to the forum, A lot of the machines do not have torque until they reach high idle, more rpm to get moving, just not to fast to get rollin. Sounds like you are busy, at break , or after work , have a beer or soda with the boss and talk about his experences. sam.

  2. #2CascadeScaper2013-11-13 22:13

    Excavators are easy, throttle up and pull up the hydraulic lockout. Ready to party. Loaders and just about anything that has a parking brake interlock, like a rocker switch or lever, usually needs to be in neutral to get anything done. You can unlock the brakes but if you're still in "gear" so to speak, you'll get nothing until you return to neutral and try again.

  3. #3mitch5042013-11-13 22:30

    When you are on the site, talk to the operators. Most will be glad to share basic knowledge of the machines they run. The ones that won't, run over them when you get the chance, you'll be improving the world.

  4. #4Fins2013-11-14 03:16

    Thanks guys. I just got in from a night of moves. Tonight was braindead work. All barrier wall sections. Almost a welcome relief, but I learn nothing this way. I need to get on the various machines without being pushed to hurry, hurry hurry. A freind of mine said to go to the local rental outfit or even one of the big repair shops, tell them what I'm into and they might be glad to help me out. Through a lot of searching and watching some hot dogs operate, I found a lot of basic control knowledge both here and on the 'Net in general. Like I said earlier, I don't fear the equipment. I want to at least master the moving, then I'll see about full operations. Many thanks. I'll keep reading in depth on the various sub-forum here. Lot's of good info to be had. :notworthy

  5. #5Tinkerer2013-11-14 06:40

    Welcome to the forums Fins. It sounds like you are learning the different machines he hard way. Most all of them have a lot in common when it comes to starting and moving them. With the exception of cranes. Look for a transmission lock and / or parking brake, starter switch (caterpillar has an additional master switch that is sometimes in hard to find locations). You already have have found out that hydro-static drive machines need high engine rpms to get them to move. Bobcats and similar machines with a coded key pad can be real problem to start.

  6. #6kshansen2013-11-14 12:23

    Best to do this with an excavator as you can dig the hole to hide the body You know we are just kidding, Right?:cool2

  7. #7kshansen2013-11-14 18:24

    Also when shifting to neutral stay there a couple seconds. Not sure about the newest Cat but the older ones needed a couple seconds for a valve in the transmission to shift before you could go back into gear. I remember guys sitting there reving the engine while shifting from forward to reverse too fast. More than once had to get up on machine and tell them to put it in neutral and wait then put it in gear. Some were still convinced there was something wrong with the transmission. Also on the newer Cat equipment with the rocker switches for hydraulic lock outs and parking brakes there is a small red button on the rocker you have to push to let the rocker move. If you push the rocker without using the red release button you can break it.