Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

History of the Crawler Tractor

GunnieSacked · 2025-03-04 23:02

I found this interesting video of the first working crawler tractor. Benjamin Holt and Daniel Best (later CL Best took over design development), invented a gas powered crawler that eventually became Caterpillar. And the story of C.L. Best: Caterpillar’s Forgotten Genius​ C.L. Best: Caterpillar’s Forgotten Genius Much has been made of Benjamin Holt’s contributions to the development of the crawler tractor. But the brilliance of his fierce rival and co-founder of Caterpillar tractors, C.L. Best, is often overlooked — despite his designs serving as a template for the famous Cat crawlers. www.agriculture.com

Replies7
  1. #1GunnieSacked2025-04-28 02:01

    I am not positive but I believe this is one of the first self powered Road Grader! I believe it is powered by a gasoline engine!

  2. #2Former Wrench2025-04-28 15:30

    Looks like a true arm-breaker.

  3. #3Truck Shop2025-04-28 20:03

    That info video is a bit off--Holt & Best were forced to merge because of so many patent infringe- ment law suits between the two. It was upsetting investors and the bankers made both meet at the table to hammer out what became Caterpillar starting in 1925. Holt started in the Stockton California area but the real test was the Palouse dry land wheat farming. Holt also built combines and manufactured here in Walla Walla Wa. *

  4. #4digger242j2025-04-28 22:26

    While the opening post doesn't mention it, the included video mentions the forerunner of Holt and Best's machines, the Lombard Steam Log Hauler. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_Steam_Log_Hauler ) Its inventor, Alvin Lombard, is a relative of my wife, specifically, a 7th cousin, four times removed. (Mrs. Digger is way big into genealogy.) So, somehow, that makes *me* special.

  5. #5GunnieSacked2025-05-02 16:28

    Great back story about Caterpillars beginning. Thanks for the insight into this.

  6. #6Truck Shop2025-05-02 17:33

    A random item that came from a post on another forum I visit. I posted a photo taken here in Walla Walla circa 1905. A fellow replied asking if the photo was taken in 1905, I didn't post a date with it at that time. I replied yes it was taken in 1905, the reply-{ The family believes that is our great uncle John Best at the controls. We have never seen this photo or knew of it's existence. But we knew from family records John was in Portland Or. giving a demonstration at that time, so it would have made sense that he traveled to Walla Walla also}. *

  7. #7GunnieSacked2025-05-02 17:40

    Awesome, the stories get even better!