http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inMELANvEBQ
yea u would b eatn glass if u didn't have ur seat belt on
only dozer that needs an air bag haha
Its like high speed maintenance grading
I have been told by the local dealer here in Indiana they cant give one of these away. I see one from their store going from contractor to contractor on demo but no one seems to be buying.
It seems to me it would be hard to be productive at high speed. maybe if you are grading a golf course.
It's a snowplow guys!
Not for everyday use...I am curious to see the first one sold at a RB Auction. Curious to see the demand.
The outfit i work for has a few of them, and will have at lest one on are next job, i think they can come in handy for some things.
topsoiling and large landscaping is all i could see them being good for !
Deere had be advertising them as pan tractors but I have yet to see one with a pan on the back.
something else that looked great on paper but is going to have one hell of a time catching on. might have a niche in pre leveling farm fields before the final laser level MAYBE.
not this thing AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Has been on here at least three or four times under different threads. Scraper tractor? You got to be kidding. Lots of people have found out how Challengers worked when they got them out the of top soil and light clay.
If you havent had any seat time on this machine how could you possiby know what its capable of?
I take it you have "seat time" on this so go ahead and enlighten us as to its capabilities............
Here is a video of one hooked to a pan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBzzf4TcP2A&feature=related
vapor300, no I don't have any seat time on one of these. However I have been around rubber tracks working in the rock and have seen what happens there. Rubber is rubber, rock is rock and if you are smart "narry the two shall meet." Kind of like we all know what happens when a rubber tire machine gets put in the sand. Sooner or later it gets stuck. Most of the time sooner.
i just think its ugly as hell
Why are you so hung up that it has to work in rock? It wasn't designed for rock, anybody should be able to figure that out.
No kidding, rubber tracks and spinning in rock, ud have to be brain dead if you put this machine in rock. As for seat time no, put will get the chance to run one this spring, we already hve one sitting on are job, i think it would come in handy working with 10-15 9630's with pans, it can go run the slope in the cut then, put it in high gear and run to the fill knock the fill down and straighten the slopes up in the fill, instead of having a 6 spend 30 mins to track from the fill to the cut, this thing can do it in 2. So say you have to go back and fourth from the fill to the cut 4 times a day, you lost 2 hrs of run time with the 6. And have you ever worked around the steiger quadtraxs??? If so then you know what them things can go threw, i assume this thing is just as good in the mudd as the quads. But will know more this spring.
I have seen the Quadtrax doing pan work......... they suck.
What kind of pan work were they doing and what series quads were they? Quads will beat any other type of pan scraper if the soil is wet. By chnce the quads that you seen were working in one of Peabodys coal mines in Linton IN?
Contractors around Indy tried Quads for pan work and gave up on them. I dident think Peabody was so stupid as to operate Quads and pans. Their equipment manager must have really fell the that salesmans line of BS.
The company i worked for put in a train line for peabody and we used 8 quads and 4 john deeres, and the mine let us use there 5230 and 777's. But like i said quads are the cats meow when you get in mud, thats why are company has a few of them, a quad 450 pulling 2 reynolds pans will go threw some pretty impressive stuff, with one pan they will go anywhere 6lgp will go. Thats why im curios to see how well this thing does in the mud, id imagine its lighter then a 6, and you have 4 tracks spining instead of just 2.
I doubt that I will see anything like them here in the Northwest, but on a job last summer, we were paralleling the local interstate in Illinois and saw several similar pieces of equipment being used on two interchanges. Mostly what appeared to be actual farm equipment modified. Possibly in a local shop. With what appears to have been zero rock of any sort in the area they looked like they were just right for the task. I would think within their parameters, they would be much more cost effective to operate and maintain. (We were traveling down the RR tracks at 10 mph and could not stop to really snoop.)
Just buy a tractor and boxblade. What a joke, or better yet just run the old grader in its place.
How many horse are those John Deere's ?
Cause a blade cant get threw mud as easy as this thing can, and id imagine that it cost alot more to run a blade then it would cost to run this dozer, A box blade LOL? Really? This thing would come in handy in certain scenarios, ill know more about them this summer.
They had one sitting along I-70 this fall at Mt. comfort road. I seen it sitting more than anything.
alco, the simple fact of life around where I am is that "you work in the rock." Not "you will work in the rock, you work in the rock" because we have a lot of rock around here. Pure, plain and simple. Can't justify that much money for that kind of a machine with its limited capabilities. Besides, don't buy deere here, buy Cat.
you see 'em here in oz in broadacre farming pulling implements those and the challengers
No you don't 54j, you are confusing the John Deere High Speed dozer with the Case quad track, they are two entirely different machines designed for entirely different operations. That John Deere is designed as a trimming dozer whereas the Case quad track is purely an agricultural tractor designed for pulling implements. By the way, welcome to HEF, I'm sure you will enjoy your time here. RnR.
It's a machine designed to work at trim and finish grading, light dozing, and other utility work. I don't think anybody has ever claimed it is a machine meant to work in rock. Sure, it may not work for what you have in mind, but that hardly makes it the POS that you keep claiming it is. That's all I'm trying to get across. I personally can think of many jobs it could do, and do very well.
I have my personal opinions of this machine and it's just that, MY personal opinion. For me the numbers would never work out. However I am sure the folks over at Deere didn't just dream this up to make a hot topic on HE boards...:cool2 That being said, I don't understand why this particular machine has brought so much contention between people here at HEF. Let's state our opinions on the machine, maybe some first hand experience from a little seat time for those that have it and discuss the machine itself. We all know that operating conditions are as varied as the types of earth moving machines produced - for a reason.
The story I have been told is that Deere formed a focus group of customers and asked them what they wanted to see in a machine, and this is what they came up with. I figure, if the customers were asking for it, it will get used. Like I said, I have seen a quite a few situations where this machine would come in very handy. It's a utility machine, not a production dozer.
Might work pretty good around here, any rock you see on one of my jobs, my trucks brought it.
like most stuff jd make im sure its a superb machine in its intended role nick......
Its a bit like the rubber duck of the excavator world, its not everyones cup of tea, but I'm sure it has plenty of potential for moving from one site to another without a lowloader, can move from one side of a carriage way to another with no fuss, snow ploughing etc, any application where you don't want steel grousers onto tarmac at some point.
alco, I am not saying it is a POS. It is just a total mismatch for everything that I do here and for a lot of other small contractors like myself around here. There is no way I could justify that much money tied up in a speciality machine like this for the kind of these things I do. That is also the same case for a lot of other people. The things it appears to be capable of doing around here get done with a conventional dozer which is placing imported fill coming from on site borrow pits. It is all limestone and limestone shale for the most part. When gravel is placed it is small conventional dozer, grader and track type skid steer for cleanup. People like myself don't buy specialized machines for limited applications. Sooner or later someone some where is going to put it where it does not belong trying to do something it was not intended for. That is a simple fact of life. Than the screaming and yelling about track life and the other short falls for that application will start to come out.
The outfit i work for must like them, think we have 10 of them, and we wouldnt be buying them if they didnt come in handy! And really there are a bunch of applications that i can think of that this machine would come in handy, and would be more cost effencent then using a blade or a 6? And i bet this machine is alot cheaper to run then a blade or 6 also, and in some applications can take the job of a 6 and a blade.
I have a bit of seat time in this They work great for trimming after a larger cat has bulked out before hand. They spread top soil like a dream you can also gravel a lease road very quick and lay in out very consistant. They also push snow well and move from lease to lease very fast
I wounder how well they would work for moving drift sand off the beaches?
Maybe im an idiot, but basically the only thing this is good for is #1 to replace a grader (since i dont imagine this thing takes any considerable cuts at high speeds or at slow speeds with that rubber track set up) and #2 for use with a gps guidance system. I cant imagine someone manually making the small adjustments of the blade at those speeds to make accurate cuts and fills. I have never operated a dozer with rubber tracks though so ill admit i could be way out in left field
They had one at the LICA show in Iowa a couple of years ago, I had a little seat time in it, its different, they were advertising it as a high speed finish dozer, coupled with gps and automatics it did work fine leveling off dirt and making a final pass to clean stuff up. Not sure who has enough of that perticular kind of work to justify it, but aside from that if did a good job for what it was intended for. No I have no intentions of owning one but its just JD's way to expand into another area and test the waters, can't say its right or wrong, just different. The sales rep those days was talking it up for dirt work, not rock or anything hard, basically everyone was using it to do high speed clean up behind larger dozers and finish work, the rep claimed they were targeting the road crew type final grading instead of a slower dozer they would use this to do a lot higher speed final pass and use gps to control it and get millimeter accuracy at high speed. I don't do anything like that so don't shoot the messanger here but thats what we were told, if he was full of bs then so be it, but thats the sales line he was using, just stating a fact of how it was explained to us there. The question was asked about pulling pans and he said thats not its intended purpose but might be able to do some of it with a small pan, again I don't do that kind of work so I don't know anything about that. They even used it to level the haul raods and keep them smoother and did it at high speed. I'd say the consensus there was it was different and left a lot of people wondering, just like on here but then again there has been a lot of machines over the years invented that did the same thing when introduced and some caught on big, others a dismall failure, only time will tell, but I do know none went home with anyone there those days after they demo'ed it. I overheard some farmers talking and they were impressed with in, those guys used rubber tracked tractors and were coming up with a list of uses I'd never thought of and they were very impressed from the sounds of it, they were asking questions about all sorts of options and possibilities. most dirt workers left scratching their heads and didn't say much other than "well that was different" just like me. What its exactly used for or will find a nitche for I don't know other than it'll probably never be used in my operation and I moved on. I know this has been a hot button for a lot of people and I'm not sure why, it was at the field day there too, other than something totally different I guess it made no difference to me, I'd actually forgot about it until it keeps coming up here and gets beat to death each time.
well i think that it has its purpose but i think what it would be realy good for is plowing snow if it had the right blade on it and like what alot of other people have been saying cleaning up after other eqwipment or larger dozers but i have not seen one here in arizona probaly because of the hard ground and the rock
Looks like fun to play i know that much, other than that....probly the best application i can see, is to maintain long haul roads that dont have to much hidden rock though.. :haha:
Can't see it being any use for farm operations. Waste of time this machine
Much cheaper to run then a 6 and can proably finish a long slope faster then a 6 as long as there isnt a heavy cut on it, we had to put 8 inches of top soil on 20 miles of slopes, i think thats where this thing would be awesome at. It has purpose, if you havent even been around one how do u say there worthless???
I don't know how they do it, but there seems to be a rather large number of people on here who can do just that.....go figure.
After lookin at a few more videos, cause the machine does look cool it sparked my interest, it does seem to be a pretty versitile machine and looks to be useful in alot of applications. I would like to give one a try, why not? One thing i see that i probably wouldnt like would be the steering wheel as the steer mechanism. About two summers ago i spent a few months in a 815F which has a steering wheel steer, and every day i thought about how much more effective i and the machine could be if i had the joystick control steer, and how much better my shoulder would feel thenext morning, but like dozers, and larger loaders. I dont know if they (manufactures) do, but they should offer the option of one or the other. Also i bet the fully automated GPS system would work pretty well with this high speed machine...
Blacksmoke, the steering wheel appears to be for high speed travel such as roading the machine. There is a joystick for steering, which I would figure would be for the lower speed work like dozing and whatnot. With every loader I have run, I've always found the joystick is usually a bit too touchy for roading the machine comfortably. I like having the option of either one to use as I want.
Could just be cause that was an old tired worn out 815, but I do think stick steer could be a great option at times. The halfmoon command steering wheels our 980's have aren't bad, but they can be just as touchy as the joysticks.
Yea i know what ur sayin alco, didnt see that left hand joystick. And yea i know what u mean jim and ran that H a couple times when i was down at Elk Mills and it was a bit touchy at faster speeds
thats pretty wild. id take it!
if the tracks on this thing is just as bad as the ones on a quad it will ruin you before it has runned 400 hours i had a buddy renting a quad and all 4 tracks had to be replaced once every 800-100 hours!!! personally i dont think they would be worth anything except for maintaining haul roads for golf course work ??? no f...... way i am a golf course shaper and wouldnt trade my dozer for this
Sounds like a bunch of closed minded people. Like some of you have said, get on one then you might be thinking of all the other things you can do with it. Just like any other piece of equipment. It can only so much. Get on one. It might suprise you. Its just like CTL's'/skids first came out. Now look at them. Give deere a few years to get them out there and to fine tune them.
Seems like alot of machine...alot of parts i guess? compared to a dozer...
Yes the tracks on the old quads were bad, but they were also pullin pans, thats alot of stress on the tracks and boogie wheels, this thing is just made to make light cuts totally differnt i think you will see alot of track life out of this machine!
That is super fast That looks like a grader on tracks instead of wheels
It depends on what year quad, they came out with a different sprocket design in 2006 I believe. I put 2500 hours on one with no problems. Pulling pans is a little more stressful then fine grading.
User feedback from Massie Contractor who bought the first 764HSD off the production line: Article in Grading & Excavation ---------------------------------------------- Compare 3D machine control systems for dozers