Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 40 bucket shims

IceHole ยท 2024-04-29 15:05

By chance would anyone know the bucket pin size for a ZX40-3? It has a pin on bucket and either never got shimmed proper at last install or it's really worn. Bucket can move size to side easily 1/2". Trying to order a shim kit ahead of time and am 800 miles away for a couple weeks, do can't measure. I think it may be 45mm, but not seeing it in the service book and don't have a parts list. Dealer needs serial number to help which i don't have.

Replies4
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-04-29 18:35

    Bucket pin-up data sheets show both pins at 45 mm.

  2. #2IceHole2024-04-29 19:17

    I'm seeing plastic shims and metal. The metal are $60-80 area... Any reason I shouldn't cut some myself out of mild steel?

  3. #3Simon C2024-04-29 22:35

    I had some cut on a lathe, then ground with a dye-grinder a groove to let the grease move around between the shims. Simon C

  4. #4IceHole2024-07-05 04:13

    Got some put on today. The pack I bought was supposed to be 2mm, about .078" They ranged from around 0.070 to almost 0.090" and not very flat... like 0.05"+ difference measuring around them. I was able to get 2 on one side and one the other, about .270" total. Was a pain getting everything to line up. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe they'll wear in and ill add another as it seemed like it was closer to 3/8" of play. The book shows shims there, so I wonder if when the thumb was added it they forgot them or something. Wasn't a huge deal, just was annoying have the bucket move side to side.