Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 50 Weird no-start or power to modem

derekaoja · 2023-05-03 23:36

I have a dead 2015 Hitachi ZX 50u excavator. I went out, started it today, and walked away to let it warm up, came back 5-10 min later and it had shut down. I turned the key and the windshield wiper twitched but nothing happened, the screen won’t even turn on. Cycled again and not even a twitch; completely dead. Wait 5 min and try again and once again wiper twitches and the motion alarm faintly chirps one half little chirp. No power anywhere. So if I wait a few minutes it makes a click and some sound/alarm chirp once, but if I try again instantly, nothing. Never even tries to turn over. I checked fuses, battery (even tried another battery), wiggled and tapped things here and there, but nothing. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1mg23612023-05-04 05:49

    Welcome to HEF derekaoja ! When you say fuses, the ones near the battery? Did you check voltages with a meter? I bet if you use a meter you will find a voltage drop somewhere due to a bad connection/wire/ground. Check that all the grounds are good?

  2. #2derekaoja2023-05-04 09:01

    Yea those 4 large fuses and all the ones in the cab. No I haven’t checked with a meter. I’ll have to try that!