Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX 120 auto idle stopped working

TJ farmer · 2025-05-14 09:42

Hello I have a 1992 EX 120 (I believe a dash 5) and yesterday the auto idle quite working. The engine seems to be running at E or P level and won't go any lower when I select I mode. Also previous to this it has been taking a couple turns of the key to start, Almost like the ignition switch was going out. I would turn the key to start and nothing would happen. Try again and it would start right up. Not sure if the two are related. Machine still runs fine but want to figure out what is going on before problem progress's. Any thoughts?

Replies5
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-05-14 11:45

    From your description, sounds like an EX120-1. Whats the serial # ?

  2. #2TJ farmer2025-05-14 17:11

    Yes I was wrong it's a EX120-2. 12N-33922

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-05-14 20:16

    May be related if you’re losing the battery connection. See below from tech manual, . ”Whenever batteries are disconnected, engine speed control linkage is adjusted, or booster batteries are used to start the engine, the engine controller (EC) must be recalibrated or reset for the EC to learn the ’P’ (max. power or fast idle) position. Turn key to OFF and then to ON. Do not start the engine. Push ’P’ (max. power) mode select switch. Wait 4-5 seconds for EC motor to move engine speed control linkage to the fast idle stop. Turn key switch OFF.

  4. #4TJ farmer2025-05-15 09:49

    Great thanks for that! I will give it a try and also need to check battery voltage/connection sounds like.

  5. #5TJ farmer2025-05-22 08:59

    OK follow up. I reset the EC and so far everything seems to be working normally (3 days now). Thanks again for the tip.