Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex100 questions

davecampbell ยท 2018-01-21 23:27

So I gambled a bit today and bought an ex100 that is missing a starter and possibly has other electrical issues. Where can I find the serial number to determine what machine age is? It has the isuzu motor. It is tagged bd1pz but looks like it is missing the first digit. Is the electrical system all 24 volt? It is also missing the batteries. What is a good source for a new starter?

Replies16
  1. #1spitzair2018-01-22 00:01

    Hello Dave, The serial number tag should be at the lower outside front right corner of the cab, below the little window, right in front of the left boom cylinder, but looks like it might be missing from your picture. At least that's where it is on my EX 200... It will be a 24V electrical system in that machine. It looks like it could be a 100-2 or -3 from the picture but we'll need a serial number to be sure. I do have manuals in PDF for EX 100-2 excavators if you need.

  2. #2davecampbell2018-01-22 00:06

    spitzair manuals would be a huge help. could you email them to [email protected] ? It is about 2 hours from me but I may have to go up there and look for the serial number to source the starter. Thanks

  3. #3Ronsii2018-01-22 00:21

    Get a pic of the engine, if it's a 4bd2 or similar starters are on ebay/internet much cheaper than the dealer!

  4. #4davecampbell2018-01-22 07:17

    I am assuming that there is a 4 missing on the tag

  5. #5spitzair2018-01-22 09:21

    Here's the link to the manuals: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/m24bvw2wyhkf0v5,d6lbevr1c8dk6ao/shared Unfortunately I don't have any parts manuals but this should get you started in the right direction. Hope this helps. Edit: This is an Electrical troubleshooting and repair guide that may come in handy: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bv8dd8xuoxgc7p4/TTLA0530_dash_2_electrical_repair.pdf

  6. #6tool_king2018-01-22 20:58

    Guys Here is the components parts manual for the EX100-2 .Guy post your email address and I can email you the larger parts manual .I tried to zip here but is so large.

  7. #7tool_king2018-01-22 23:39

    Guys here is the parts manual for the EX100-2 http://www.mediafire.com/file/z6kjhi7z8zavknz/CATALOG_EX100-2_PARTS_CATALOG.pdf Hope it helps out

  8. #8davecampbell2018-01-23 11:13

    thanks tool_king. That will help me a bunch

  9. #9davecampbell2018-01-23 23:19

    my email is [email protected] thanks

  10. #10davecampbell2018-01-27 07:42

    I have to put batteries and a starter in the machine and hook them up. I have gone through the electrical troubleshooting document and the parts manual trying to figure out the battery connection and cant find it. I was thinking this was a 24volt system and that I would just have to find the power feed wire and connect it to the positive side of the battery bank to give it 24v but I do see it asking for a test of one battery to be 12v. does that mean that the power should be tapped in at the 12v point?

  11. #11Ronsii2018-01-27 09:13

    I thought all ex100's were 24volt.... but I only have experience with the ones I havew worked on which were 24volt.... is there still an alternator on the engine? if so try to get a part number off it that would indicate what it is.... or in the battery area the main solenoid for the cutoff itf it has one.

  12. #12Ronsii2018-01-27 11:02

    One other thing that if I remember correctly is marked 24 volt is the lights, I have replaced a lot with the LED lights which take anything from 10v to 35v and I am pretty sure the originals were marked as 24v.

  13. #13spitzair2018-01-27 16:19

    The batteries will be 2 regular 12 volt batteries hooked in series to give you 24 volts, thus the manual asking you to make sure that ONE (they mean each individual) battery puts out 12 volts. To hook it all up you will hook the ground wire from the machine to the negative post of one battery. The positive post from this first battery gets hooked to the negative post of the second battery and the positive post on the second battery is the one that the positive power feed wire gets hooked up to.

  14. #14davecampbell2018-01-27 19:26

    Thanks guys. I would think that if the lights are 24v everything else is too. I will wire it for 24

  15. #15spitzair2018-03-26 00:04

    Did you ever get the ol' gal fired up and working?

  16. #16bflobil2018-03-31 18:20

    It should be a 24V system. If you still have the original cigarette lighter it should say 24V on it. You probably have it up and running by now.... The best place I have found for starters and alternators is a place in Sugarland, Texas....Can't remember the name, but knowledgeable and as cheap as I have found.