Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX120-2

knightgang ยท 2017-02-08 15:33

Well, I had been looking at a EX200, and then a EX120 posted on Craig's list only 1.5 hrs from me. I took a look at the machine and it is pretty tight. Biggest complaint I have is that the bucket is pretty sloppy on the front pin. Seems it is kinda pricey to line bore a bucket to make it right and tight again. The hour meter stopped at about 4800 hrs, but with the condition it does not appear to have more than 6-7K hours on it. Issues we found: Hour Meter not working Coolant Temp gauge not working (needs temp sender) Both boom cylinders with minor leaks, probably top seals dry as the machine has been sitting for a little while. (No immediate worry) All Electronic controls work except Engine shutdown with the key. (Should be a simple fix) Couple of hoses behind the boom look as though they are in need of being replaced, look to be original Is there anything else specific to a 120 that I need to be watching out for. UC is in good shape, tracks are mostly good, 2 are broken. It could have seen a grease gun a bit more often, but everything is still tight, so it has not been too bad. I called the dealer on the Temp sensor and hour meter, and they want like $400 for an hour meter. Where are some other sources for these parts mentioned above? Also, if I get the machine, I would like to look for a used bucket that is in better shape that I can pick up for less than the cost of line boring. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1knightgang2017-02-09 08:53

    Also, for the 1993 year model, what is the equivalent John Deere Machine model and were there any significant differences other than the engine. The parts guys at the JD/Hitachi Dealer stated that he thought the 490D was the equivalent JD machine, can someone confirm?

  2. #2FWD2017-02-09 20:34

    A 120-2 should be like a 490E I believe. I have a 120-1 and it is like a 490D John Deere. FWD

  3. #3SoutheastSavage2020-09-27 19:58

    You can get all of these parts off of eBay for much cheaper

  4. #4JDCrow2020-09-28 04:19

    Agree, EBay.