I've got an Hitachi Ex 120-2 excavator that I need to remove the boom from the main body of the machine to line bore out the pin surface on both the body mount and the boom and then weld up the whole thing and machine it back to proper specs. I own a welding company and I just bought a new line boring machine and bore welder set up for the company. Great practical on my machine I guess. Sadly the previous owners felt grease is not really needed only suggested. JD actually got me the new bushings and seal and pin. So in order to get to the inside bore of the two ears, I need to remove the cab. Has anyone ever just removed the cab before and is it as simple as disconnecting the antenna, a ground wire, and remove the 4 corner bolts and lift it up really high? I realize the controls will still be in the way BUT moving that from the seat is way easier than the alternative (blowing a hole in the cab sidewall to gain access.) Plus the cab lifted will give me like 4 more inches of working room. Thank you, Joe Syleng1
It could very well be the same as the late UH series where the only wire to be disconnected was for the window wiper and interior light. I'm fairly sure all the wiring and heater hoses came into the cab through the floor.
The cab removal on a Deere/ Hitachi is pretty much as you described. IIRC you tie a long small wire to the front wiper wiring as it’s pulled and use it to pull back through when reassembling. When I was at the dealer we generally did not remove the cab prior to having those (2) boom mounting ears line bored. I believe the machinist would finish the final couple of thou with a hone. I would be surprised if you find the bushings pounded out and loose in the boom. The bucket pin bores at the working end of the stick usually show all the heavy wear with lack of daily maintenance.
Sadly Dave, The pin was bouncing around so much that I believe the bores on all 4 contact points are bad. If they were not, that would be great but I can have my wife operate the boom and hear a clicking from inside the long bushing tube welded to the end of the boom. I am planning on the worst and hoping for the best. It is not an easy job being it will be my first time operating the new tool and removing the boom. I figure if I lower the boom down, pull the pin out and hydraulicly push the boom forward as I track backwards it should come apart. Going back together may need a large truck wrecker. Thank you again for the info! Thank you for letting me know about the wipers and interior lamp as well. Great information. I forgot about those, you may had saved me a harness repair.
There is a long thin walled metal tube separating the bushings in the boom, you could be hearing movement in that as well. You will definitely need a lifting device of some sort to support the boom when coming apart and going back together.