Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi ex120 swing motor leaking (what else to look for?)

shelbyk7 · 2022-04-11 13:08

Was losing a lot of fluid at swing motor so Pulled the swing motor to replace seal Is there anything else to check for once I’m in there? also, is there more than one seal tht could be the culprit? attached picture- is the seal #35 all I need?

Replies32
  1. #1uffex2022-04-11 15:19

    Good day I recommend you check the swing bearing movement, this can cause the bearing to fail in the bottom of the swing transmission. Not sure what has happened to your thread, strange attachment maybe gone wrong. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Tones2022-04-11 15:42

    As Uffex said. A failed seal is usually a symptom not a cause. My guess is #35,37, 21,20.

  3. #3shelbyk72022-05-22 21:59

    Okay pulled swing motor and #35 seal is bad i had ordered a swing motor seal kit but it did not have this seal, had a much smaller seal with other orings (pic attached) is there anything else to look for while it’s out? Best way to check the bearings? Will it be obvious?

  4. #4Kobelco ireland2022-05-23 08:51

    They sent you a seal kit for the swing motor instead of the swing gearbox

  5. #5shelbyk72022-05-23 11:32

    So what are some symptoms of needing seal kit for the swing motor? Trying to see if I need it Do they have “kits” for the gear box? I purchased a new seal for gear box what else should I get?

  6. #6Kobelco ireland2022-05-23 11:42

    Are you losing gear oil from the gearbox or is the gearbox filling with hydraulic oil

  7. #7shelbyk72022-05-23 13:12

    Well I’m not entirely sure if hydraulic is in gearbox, i pulled it because the gear oil kept running out and would bogey low on dipstick also when I pulled motor and gearbox (all together) a lot of water is in the turn table i loosens a couple bolts underneath it but still water standing ?

  8. #8Kobelco ireland2022-05-23 19:05

    If the gear oil is leaking out of the gearbox then you need the big main bottom seal(part #35 in parts diagram) and you need to check for play in the bearing. The water in the grease bath can be drained from underneath the machine through an opening in the frame covered with a small rectangular plate.to access this plate you need to crawl under the machine between the two tracks and look up through the hole in the bottom of the under carriage towards the turning joint And you should see a small plate held on with two bolts.

  9. #9uffex2022-05-24 06:16

    Good day Attached may be worth a check. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10shelbyk72022-05-24 12:41

    Checking for play in the turntable, do bearing #21 and #20 go out very often?

  11. #11uffex2022-05-24 13:02

    Good day Shelby Much depends on care external causes of failure includes striking electric cables, over bucketing, water ingress. Checking will give peace of mind that the gearbox repair will not fail for that reason, additionally to knowing how much worn the bearing is at. Kind regards Uffex

  12. #12shelbyk72022-05-24 15:02

    Thank you honestly, I do not have the means to remove the cab completely to change the giant roller bearing. Unless it was absolutely terrible I don’t think it will be changed unless I spent some time gathering some equipment to do it. I’d like to know if I’m in spec though so I will try to get that done in regards to water in the belly, the center joint which has a rubber cover around it, is not sealing to the metal really well. (Picture below ) can that cause water to get into any spots it shouldn’t be? I had something else come to mind on the left joystick , a wire has been cut or broken and not repaired. (Picture below) also a (black w/ yellow stripe)wire running up side of the boom (left side if sitting in seat) also has been torn off. What is this for?

  13. #13shelbyk72022-05-28 16:37

    So I got the swing motor seal kit and didn’t occur to me at the time that it wasn’t considered all one piece with the gear box So now im needing all of the orings on the gear box, I did order the big seal on gear box already I am not having luck finding a kit with these orings? And having hard time finding them at all this attached drawing is of a ex200-2 but it comes up when I select ex120-2 so I need all orings in the diagram anyone have idea of where to get a kit or where to order individually tht would come in quickly ?

  14. #14shelbyk72022-05-29 10:42

    How much play should the shaft #3 in diagram have? Trying to determine roller bearing is okay or not The splined end of shaft (closest to bearing moved .024” pic below

  15. #15uffex2022-05-29 11:43

    Good day If I have followed the illustrations correctly, the 0.024" you are recording is at the output of the motor. Unless hydraulic fluid is filling the transmission, there is little to be concerned. The actual measurement I do not find alarming. Kind regards Uffex

  16. #16shelbyk72022-05-29 14:40

    Thanks I wanted to be sure while it was apart

  17. #17shelbyk72022-06-10 17:28

    Can this be washed out with a hose by chance? Kinda nasty in there , any best practices,?

  18. #18maineplower2022-06-10 17:36

    I bought a cheap small shop vac and vacuumed it out while I had the swing motor out. Then threw the vacuum out.

  19. #19uffex2022-06-11 03:59

    Good day I would suggest dilute what is left after draining with some parrafine or similar, if you can hire a hot pressure wash to clean up. Kind regards Uffex

  20. #20shelbyk72022-06-11 14:23

    If no accesss to hot pressure washer, will cold pressure washer work?

  21. #21uffex2022-06-12 04:27

    Good day Shelby I would suggest make the best of what you have availible, normally the Parafine (Kerosene) will clean up reasonbly well. Kind regards Uffex

  22. #22shelbyk72022-06-12 12:52

    Okay, that’s what I was confused about, I thought you were saying paraffin, the wax and couldn’t make sense of it i do have kerosene ,thanks

  23. #23shelbyk72022-06-13 16:30

    Getting ready to add fluids back into machine Is there anything special I need to do? I drained pump and tried getting all the fluid and it because the fluid was nasty put some in swing motor before installing it. Anyway I Can put any in pump before starting it up?

  24. #24shelbyk72022-06-13 16:32

    Also. uFFEX i rebuilt fuel pump, it had an electric in line when I got it rebuilt it, would it hurt to leave the electric just to assist? Any diagram for how fuel lines and system should be routed? Not sure if original owner bypassed the mechanical lift pump or not when went electric

  25. #25uffex2022-06-14 05:21

    Good day Shelby I cannot be sure regarding third party fuel pumps however I have attached all the illustrations I have with regards to the fuel system. Pumps & Motors make sure you flood - bleed the body of the units before you crank the motor - run the engine at idle for a short time to clear any remaining air or ingress. Kind regards Uffex

  26. #26shelbyk72022-06-18 14:07

    So the electric fuel pump brand is- “ Facet Posi-Flow” Here are the specs, not sure what exact model is in mine but looking today . Is 10psi enough ? “ Available Features 12 inches minimum dry lift 23 - 40 GPH 1.5 - 10 PSI ESD compliant 1.5 amp average Diesel Priming and Self Regulating Light-Weight - Compact Internal 3.5 amp fuse

  27. #27skyking12022-06-18 22:37

    my early JD120 is about equivalent to a 120-3 The tub in mine was not a separate piece, it is all integral welded stuff. I did not get pictures, but the swivel is mounted in a raised up area with a rim on it. The water may be sitting on just that upper area. I had a small amount that rained out on me when I pulled the swivel, but no signs of water in the main tub area where the slewing gear runs.

  28. #28shelbyk72022-06-19 17:28

    Thanks i have found this sensor leaking onto the tracks behind the cab. Some kind of Pilot sensor? It’s kind of busted open and leaking at the break. Picture below, Is this important for function? Or can it do without?

  29. #29skyking12022-06-19 17:30

    That's hard way Jones to pull it and find out. I would tend to get one coming and err on the side of "putting it back how they designed it", rather than try the weight reduction program method.

  30. #30shelbyk72022-06-19 21:29

    Fair enough, i just had some panels off and doing maintenance when I saw it leaking pretty good amount. Seperate of this thread is the machine was having some normal ex120 issues of jerky controls and saw this as I was doing some other stuff to it and was curious if this sensor would cause issues if it were bad i appreciate all the help, first excavator and I’m definitely a rookie. It’s taken awhile to go through it and I’m just ready to get her going

  31. #31skyking12022-06-19 21:35

    If you don't have records of it, I would suggest doing a full 2000 hour service on it. That's all the fluids and filters, coolant, check everything. Get a service manual for the procedure. It's about 700 in parts and pieces but if you can't see where it has been done that is money well spent. I cannot diagnose "jerkiness" as I have not experienced it, but it could be due to things like that leak on the pilot circuit, or plugged pilot filter. Getting things fresh and clean will eliminate those as the source of the problem.

  32. #32shelbyk72022-06-20 09:52

    Great, that’s what I’m doing at the moment