Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX58mu Isusu 4LE1 fuel leak

ZGrant231 · 2017-10-02 00:45

My 4LE1 has developed a fuel leak at what isuzu calls the fuel pump. I replaced the o ring in the injector body but still have fuel coming from the steel plate and aluminum body held together buy the 5 point bolts. 5 point bolts are usually a security or safety feature. Is any one familiar with this type of injector or how to fix this leak?

Replies19
  1. #1thepumpguysc2017-10-02 04:50

    That is the injection pump.. its VERY COMMON for them to leak there.. 3 orings.. special socket from Zexel.. [diesel kiki] That is also the EQUAL fuel delivery setting for each cylinder.. if you mark it in place, you wont have a problem reinstalling it.. There is also a front & a back.. so mark that also.. they can go in backwards..

  2. #2thepumpguysc2017-10-02 05:18

    The pump p# is stamped into the base of the pump.. its a partial pump # & has to be decoded inorder to get the correct oring #'s.. I can see it in the 2nd pic but cant make it out.. You can drive a socket over the bolts & just replace then w/ some METRIC cap screws of the same thread & length..

  3. #3ZGrant2312017-10-02 23:41

    Thanks guys, I'll wash the engine tomorrow to prevent contamination and see if i can get those 5 points lose.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2017-10-03 06:44

    Why don't you post the #'s stamped into the pump BEFORE pulling it & get the orings 1ST.. ALOT EASIER to put on new orings & put back together in 1 sitting..

  5. #5ZGrant2312017-10-03 23:38

    #45050, matched them with my hi temp CAT brand viton O-ring kit. 13.8 ID 18.6 OD 2.4 section Replaced 5 point with standard metric bolts. Thanks again thepumpguysc!

  6. #6thepumpguysc2017-10-04 05:55

    Happy to help..

  7. #7ZGrant2312018-05-08 02:43

    Well after destroying numerous sockets, the other three pumps have began to leak. I've searched high and low for this 5 point, 10mm side to point socket. "Thepumpguysc" do you know where I can buy this socket? A link would be much appreciated.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-05-08 04:18

    Sorry> "Ancient Chinese Secret." I'll get the P# in the morning.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2018-05-08 08:02

    PM sent..

  10. #10jayz2021-03-19 12:09

    hello thepumpguysc i have a john deere 50zts with the isuzu 4le1 with the same fuel leak as zgrant231. is this something i can attempt? i am a mechanic, but not really great with diesels. my pump# is 61021. any help you could give me is much appreciated.

  11. #11ZGrant2312021-03-28 12:41

    I don't see why you couldn't tackle it. Just mark with a scribe the exact position before removal. I ended up doing it twice because I used standard rubber O rings instead of Vinton the first time

  12. #12thepumpguysc2021-03-28 17:46

    The tool costs over 300.00. And that’s Aftermarket. I’ve gotten pumps in where the owner just used a chisel to get them out and then went to the hardware store and replaced them. He went thru all that trouble THEN I ended up with the pump.!! If your gonna attempt to do it.. U BETTER GET THE RIGHT ORINGS..

  13. #13jayz2021-04-01 19:46

    thanks zgrant231 i was wondering if the engine has to be in a certain position to take the pump out, or will it lift out after i remove the fuel line and 4 mounting bolts?

  14. #14phil3142021-04-02 07:43

    Search Amazon for 'penta socket', you'll find a bunch. https://www.amazon.com/CTA-Tools-2752-5-Point-Socket/dp/B07MDHFLX6

  15. #15Jacobm2023-01-16 17:52

    I'm alo about to emplacement these 3 oring could anyone walk me though itim unsure if I just remove the 2 5sides odd bolts to replace 3 orings or must I remove the whole unit meaning all 4 bolts if anyone one could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it thanx also here my number incase txt easier thanks 267 4465711

  16. #16ZGrant2312023-01-16 20:09

    Jesus christ man! Proof read your reply before you post it. After a few reads, i think I understand what your after. Mark the injector with a scribe line before removing it (Very important these are timed) Just remove the injector line, and two bolts that hold the retailer. There is also an o ring in the injector body that you might as well replace while you have it out even if its not that o ring leaking, 50% of the time it's the outers, the other 50% it's the inner on these. I've done quite a few o ring sets in the field now on these old 4LE1s and I really appreciate the simplicity of them.

  17. #17Jacobm2023-01-17 19:29

    So to be clear I won't be removing the 4 bolts right? Just the 2. 5 sided bolts does anyone know about this thanks for thehelp

  18. #18ZGrant2312023-01-25 17:51

    Correct

  19. #19Jacobm2023-01-25 18:45

    Thanks it went well