Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX60-G

Dave EX60 · 2019-06-04 09:05

I have a Hitachi EX60-G excavator. I have a travel motor leaking hydraulic oil. Has motor model # HMGB08CA. I cannot find and parts supplier that has a parts listing for this. I didn’t have any history on this machine, not sure if the seal in it is correct. I have quickly found out parts are hard to get for grey model equipment.

Replies38
  1. #1excavator2019-06-04 11:18

    What is your serial number? And a picture of your machine would be nicce.

  2. #2Dave EX602019-06-04 13:24

    I cannot find a serial number on it. Here are some pictures of the excavator and the travel motor.

  3. #3heymccall2019-06-04 13:55

    Register on avspare . com (it's free) Search EX60G It goes to this

  4. #4heymccall2019-06-04 13:57

    4092483 is the duo cone seal set. I dont see a shaft seal listed.

  5. #5heymccall2019-06-04 14:01

    Nevermind... that's gear box Here is motor, #1 (4176022) is output seal.

  6. #6heymccall2019-06-04 14:09

    Serial number plate was built here

  7. #7Dave EX602019-06-04 14:38

    Thanks heymccall. Second one is the correct drive motor. I will call local dealer and see if these numbers work. This is the plate at the location you pointed out. As you can see has model # and manufacturer #. No sign of even where a serial number should go.

  8. #8heymccall2019-06-04 14:59

    Mfg # is serial #

  9. #9heymccall2019-06-04 15:02
  10. #10Dave EX602019-06-04 15:35

    Okay. Thanks good to know. I called Nortrax John Deer dealer in Peterborough. The part numbers were all good. One o ring had a new number. He has ordered the parts. Will be there Thursday. Making some headway. Thanks for all your help. Dave

  11. #11excavator2019-06-04 16:07

    If I remember right it's the same as the Deere 70D. Travel motors should be the same however with rubber tracks the rest of the under carriage may be different and not sure if Deere offered rubber tracks.

  12. #12Dave EX602019-06-04 16:14

    The parts guy at JD did say these parts were the same as 70D. I will post back my repair results. Thanks again Dave

  13. #13Dave EX602019-06-25 16:21

    More problems. I removed the drive motor and replaced the seal and o-rings. Put the motor back on. Still leaked. When I emptied the catch basin that I had used to catch the spilled oil a steel ring fell out. I did not see it drop into the basin when I took it apart. I took the motor back off and put the ring back in. Looks like a concave washer about 7 inches OD. Still leaks oil and the sprocket will not turn. I cannot find a parts diagram for the gear box part. I have no idea what is in there. Presume the brake is in there. Originally it leaked on inside of the sprocket now on the outside.

  14. #14heymccall2019-06-25 17:43

    Gear box breakdown is first diagram I posted. #42 looks like it fits you description.

  15. #15Dave EX602019-06-25 18:03

    Doesn’t look like the one on it. Where is the brake. It is not releasing the brake now. I presumed the port that goes through (o-ring #2) is to release the brake. Is it in the gear box?

  16. #16heymccall2019-06-25 19:37

    Oring 45 is brake oil, when commanded, to brake release piston 39. 40&41 are brake piston Orings. 38 are the brake lining.

  17. #17Dave EX602019-06-25 22:08

    Is there an alignment when putting the hydraulic motor back together. Originally it just leaked. Would still move the track. Now it will not turn. Can tell oil is getting to it as you can hear the motor work a little. Still cannot figure out where or how the brake works. The first diagram 101a is not the same. The 2nd one is the motor. Both the motor and gear box can be turned by hand with the drive motor off of the machine. My understanding was there is a spring held brake somewhere that hydraulic pressure releases. With hydraulic lines off the brake should be on. Can’t locate it.

  18. #18heymccall2019-06-25 22:48

    70D deere looks el same-o.

  19. #19heymccall2019-06-25 22:49

    Brake is ON until pressure rise (travel request) in either travel hose. That Belville washer that you described holds the friction discs tight (locked) until the 39 piston is pressurized.

  20. #20Dave EX602019-06-30 20:52

    I had to remove the entire drive assembly on the EX60. I had put caps on the hydraulic lines. Thought we could use the machine to lift the drive as long as we didn’t move the travel levers. Bottom line blew the cap off and started pumping oil out. Is that normal? Thought if I didn’t move the levers no oil would flow.

  21. #21Puffie402019-06-30 21:36

    What kind of caps did you use?

  22. #22Dave EX602019-06-30 22:04

    Nylon that I had turned on the lathe. Just meant as dust caps. Should there be any oil flow with the travel levers in neutral?

  23. #23Dave EX602019-07-09 16:58

    Does anyone know of an easy way to get the slip ring seals in. I have tried every way I can think of. Get it just about all the way around and oring slips down below the ring. It is a hitachi ex60-g

  24. #24heymccall2019-07-09 20:38

    Here? HeavyEquipmentForums

  25. #25John C.2019-07-10 11:15

    Hydraulic valve spools always have some leakage by them in neutral. You will need metal caps and plugs if you intend to run the machine.

  26. #26Dave EX602019-07-31 21:26

    Got the slip ring seals installed. Had just enough corrosion to stop the lip from holding the o-ring in place. Got that problem fixed now we have oil leaking from the swing section. Doesn’t look like it is coming from the swing motor ( former owner said he had it rebuilt). If the swing device is leaking will oil leak out directly under it or out between where it swings? Would be nice to have a service manual. Parts diagrams are good once you have it apart. Would be nice to have some pictures.

  27. #27tool_king2019-07-31 21:33

    Dave what is you dash number.

  28. #28Dave EX602019-07-31 22:14

    It is a Hitachi EX60-G. 10F-1282

  29. #29Dave EX602019-08-01 08:51

    After we put the track back on we cannot get the track to tighten all the way. Front idler is about an inch short of where it should be. Pumping in grease moved it to there quite easily then seamed like we got to the end of the cylinder.

  30. #30Dave EX602019-09-02 20:17

    After I put the final drive back on I could not get the track to tighten all the way. Pumped up easy then stopped. Idler needs to go about another 2 inches. What holds the adjuster in. Can’t really see. Former owner must have ran it through wet concrete. Inside where the adjuster is is full of concrete. Chipped a lot out but more to go. Second question. Is the center joint hard to remove. I think it is leaking slowly. Oil coming out around the swing bearing.

  31. #31TVA2019-09-02 20:26

    If you have motors starting leaking left and right - it’s a good idea to check your case drain filter and case drain pressure!!!

  32. #32Dave EX602019-09-02 20:43

    Ok. Never owned or worked on an excavator. My son in law bought this grey model EX60. Able to find a parts list and parts are available from John Deere. Can’t find any information about actually servicing it. I don’t have an issue repairing it if I can figure out what to expect when I take it apart. Are you talking about the track drive motors? How would I check the case drain filter and pressure? With limited info not a good machine to learn on.

  33. #33TVA2019-09-02 21:12

    Trace hoses from bodies, not the ports of all three motors to a filter - that’s your case drain filter. Depending on what pump you have, the hose from the top of the pump/s should go there too!

  34. #34TVA2019-09-02 21:35

    Basically from your swing motor two bigger hoses should go to Main Control Valve, and one bigger hose to case drain filter.

  35. #35Dave EX602019-09-02 22:13

    Thanks I will check tomorrow. What is the large unit in the center of the swing. It has a dip stick so has gear oil in it. Thought it was the center pivot that fed oil to the travel motors but in the parts manual it looks like it has gears in it. Looks like the swing motor is in front of it. If it is a swivel to supply oil to travel motors why does it have gears?

  36. #36TVA2019-09-02 22:23

    That’s a swing reduction gear box, it’s a little offset from center of turntable. Plugged case drain filter creates the pressure inside motors and pumps which leads to seal leaks and sometimes even seal pushing out. For pump this is really dangerous because it may cause retaining plate and piston slippers damage and catastrophic failure!

  37. #37Dave EX602019-09-07 05:45

    Looks like there is a filter on the line that goes in the top of the tank. Case drain filter?? Another filter on the line at the bottom. I presume I need to drain the tank to replace the bottom filter.

  38. #38TVA2019-09-07 08:00

    The bottom strainer is a suction, you should be able to pull it out by its rod under breather flange on the top of the tank. The other flange on top of the tank ( flat one, no tower looking thing) is a return filter. Case drains on different brands situated differently, but the main thing is the lines from all three motors and the pump/s ( if the pump/s is a piston pump/s) go to it, and from there to top of the tank. There’s also pilot circuit filter, usually has ball looking accumulator close by and connected to it.