Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX75 UR stalling under load

Bgingras ยท 2010-08-07 10:18

I was asked to run a machine for a client. He bought this machine 3 years ago to do some work on his home. It told me it's a 2000, and has 2900 hours. I assumed all maintenance was being done, as when I arrived it was fueled and ready. First off, both batteries were dead, and one was leaking. We got 2 new batteries. Upon starting it, I had an alarm but no indicator lights as to what it was. As soon as I operated anything hydro, the alarm shut off, but then would be intermittent. Client told me the alarm has been going like that for over a year. As soon as I tried to roll, it didn't feel right, trying to dig would bog the machine down and it would stall out using the blade to even scrape a small amount of material or while trying to turn. I told him it's not running right, I started checking fluids. He didn't have any idea where to check anything, and when asked about maintenance, he had only been greasing it. Never checked or change a filter or fluid on the thing in 3 years. So my question, would the stalling be as simple as a filter? I generally don't need to deal with repairs, as I just get called when a machine needs to be run. This machine is seriously lacking in power to do anything, and at one point I lost all ability to go against gravity with anything hydro. The plan is to go back and replace all filters and engine oil next time I'm there. thanks for any input.

Replies6
  1. #1RobVG2010-08-07 12:27

    Stalling could be as simple as a plugged fuel filter or other restriction in the fuel line. Just for fun, I'd cut the engine oil filter open and have a look

  2. #2Wardiker2010-08-07 14:02

    Id do the simple stuff 1st in the following order. 1 Replace the fuel filter, 2 Check the banjo bolt filter in the fuel line- remove the banjo bolt and there should be a screen inside. There may be several banjo bolts in the fuel line, one will have this. 3 check for a clogged fuel line at the gas tank connection. I had the same problem and it was #3 that fixed it. Always filter your fuel before it enters the tank and add conditioner to the tank. Hope that helps.

  3. #3Bgingras2010-08-07 19:27

    thanks guys. I guess it also has old fuel in it, as in from last fall! I won't be back on that site for another 2 weeks, but when I'm there I'll be sure to have him purchase everything and we are going to dig into the machine a bit and start cleaning everything and changing filters.

  4. #4willie592010-08-07 19:40

    Be sure and drain water/sediment from bottom of fuel tank. Some folks never bother to do this and it's a never ending process trying to keep fuel filter from getting clogged.

  5. #5EGS2010-08-07 22:29

    This is very true. My 345 was brand new last year. I drained some fuel for burning brush recently and I could not believe the water that came out.

  6. #6willie592010-08-07 23:34

    Yup.